Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:04 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
JCAllison wrote:
it more and more became a matter of Foose and his crew starting to rape the poor little old vehicles that happened to have the misfortune of falling into their clutches.

You misspelled "a matter of Foose strokin' his giant ego on TV".

Quote:
automotive tech school graduates

That's a large assumption.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:41 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicle
Reed wrote:
I don't watch any car shows or read any car magazines. A waste of money and time in my opinion, mostly for the reasons you don't watch Overhaulin'.

Hey Reed,
Have in the past watched "PowerBlock", for the "HorsePower" and "MuscleCar" segments, but haven't been watching them lately. They have gotten to be so commercial strewn that mostly what happens is ten minutes of commercials and a couple of minutes of program and then ten more minutes of commercials.

Also, the programs now are all about the NEW cars and all the equipment available to spiff them up... Bolt on Dual turbo charger systems, and like that. Very little REAL WORLD hobby stuff.

Quote:
I'm not against customization, but I also don't like pointless destruction and disrespect for how things used to be built.

Here just a week or two ago, Lorrie's Stewart Warner 385CF Sender Unit was gotten from Speedway Motors, "America's Oldest Speed Shop", and with the order they included one of their "Hot Rod" parts catalogs.

Reed, you can get a complete "Model T Bucket or Pick-up Truck" Hot Rod for the nominal price of only $59,995.00! It comes with a Flat Head Ford Engine, with Finned Aluminum Heads, and BIG Acorn Nuts, Drop Front Axle, Finned Brake Drums, Quick Change Differential, six different kinds of Wishbone Drag Links, Spoked front Wheels, huge Slicks on the Rear, and just the rattiest looking Fiberglass Body that you'd ever want to see. There's not a part on the thing over a year old! :)

They also sell, 1931 Model As, 1932 Model Bs, 1934 Ford Coupes, and 1940 Ford Sedans, and while they LOOK like a well built OLD car, they are all brand new parts. Modern antiques! :) That strikes me as being an oxymoron. Like making "Queen Anne" furniture out of Carbon Composits!

Well, just called NAPA about the Piston Stop Tool. They don't have one. Called O'Reilly's and the guy there had never heard of a Piston Stop Tool. Called AutoZone, and no one answered the phone.

If a 3/8" Tap can be found here, may just make one out of an old Spark Plug.

Anyway, hang in there.

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Post Office Vehicle - 225 Slant Six - Torqueflite A727 Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Drive Steering - Big Three HEI System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System - Bendix Stromberg Model W Carburetor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:51 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

SlantSixDan wrote:
You misspelled "a matter of Foose strokin' his giant ego on TV".

Hey Daniel,
Next thing you know, he'll be marrying and then cheating on Sandra Bullock! :)

Quote:
That's a large assumption.

You mean they AREN'T tech school grads? Now I'm REALLY disillusioned!

BTW, there are a whole bunch of NEW automobile and motorcycle shows on the horizon.

One that was advertised recentlyon the Discovery Channel is going to be called: "Fast and Loud"! That ought to be an obviously fine program. :)

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Post Office Vehicle - 225 Slant Six - Torqueflite A727 Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Drive Steering - Big Three HEI System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System - Bendix Stromberg Model W Carburetor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:09 pm 

Car Model:
JCAllison wrote:
BTW, there are a whole bunch of NEW automobile and motorcycle shows on the horizon.

I won't see any of 'em. I don't own a television set. Television does to the mind what cigarettes do to the lungs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:42 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:
Hmmm. Looks like a mounting bracket for vertical blinds or heavy curtains.

Hey Reed,
Right ON! Pretty sharp there Reed!

Quote:
Either way, NICE WORK! I really like your solution to the timing tab problem.

It did come out pretty nice, didn't it?

Quote:
If you still have access to the stock timing tab, you could put a piece of cardboard next to it and copy the spacing of the stock degree indicators and then transfer it over to your new tab.

Alas, it would take removing the Radiator to do that.

Quote:
I got my piston stop tool from Jegs. I think it cost me about $8 a few years back. Check them out.

Here a few years back, Ms. American had the occasion to have her Exhaust Bolt Holes chased out with a 3/8" Tap. If that Tap can be found, am going to see if a Piston Stop Tool can be made out of one of Lorries OLD Champion 11 Spark Plugs.

Will let you know how THAT goes.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:44 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

SlantSixDan wrote:
I won't see any of 'em. I don't own a television set. Television does to the mind what cigarettes do to the lungs.

Hey Daniel,
Well, if you don't have a TV, how are you supposed to get properly programmed? :)

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:00 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Check amazon for the piston stop tool.

Might be able to get free shipping if you buy some other stuff............

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:56 pm 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
I made one out of an old sparkplug, breakout the center material run the tap in the hole put a long bolt in and your done. Price is right also!

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:15 pm 

Car Model:
JCAllison wrote:
Well, if you don't have a TV, how are you supposed to get properly programmed?

I know, right?

(this will seem random to anyone who hasn't seen They Live).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:38 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Not to steal the thread, but "They Live" is an awesome movie from John Carpenter's run of awesome movies in the 80s. I remember seeing it in the theater and loving it. And it has a good moral too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:00 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
JCAllison wrote:

Would these help?

These are pictures of the timing tab on a loose late 70s slant timing chain cover I had in the garage. The 4 and the 6 are centered on the TDC or 0 line. Looks like 1/8 inch = 2 degrees. The tape is flat and the tab is curved, so there starts to be some distortion after about 4 degrees, but I think 1/8 inch to 2 degrees is good enough for government work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:56 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Quote:
Check amazon for the piston stop tool. Might be able to get free shipping if you buy some other stuff............

Hey Mr. E,
Have decided to MAKE one out of one of Lorrie's OLD Champion Spark Plugs. Have been looking for the Taps that are here somewhere. Thought they were in the box with all the Drill Bits, but that proved to be mistaken.

BUT, will be getting out tomorrow morning, and it would be just as inexpensive to buy a 3/8" Tap at the Hardware Store.

Heck, if I got to going on these, I have a whole BUNCH of different Spark Plugs around here. Might just make up a BUNCH of them.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

JC"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:03 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Fopar wrote:
I made one out of an old sparkplug, breakout the center material run the tap in the hole put a long bolt in and your done. Price is right also! Richard

Hey Richard,
YES. Have never done any violence to a Spark Plug. Is the hole in the metal part of the Plug big enough to get a 3/8" tap through? Or does one have to drill it first?

Have had others say what you have written, but they also include using the a Bench Grinder to round off the end of the Long Bolt.

Will let you know how this goes.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:14 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

SlantSixDan wrote:
I know, right?

HEY!!! Don't go making fun of Sean and Greta. Once you start, you'll find it a "gateway" to making fun of Sarah and Carl. That will lead to making fun of Mitt and Newt. From there, it's but a hop, skip and a jump to Billo and Rush. And that'll be the end of the line, except for Grover and Mitch.

One can NEVER be too careful.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:19 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
JCAllison wrote:
The tape is flat and the tab is curved, so there starts to be some distortion after about 4 degrees, but I think 1/8 inch to 2 degrees is good enough for government work.

LOL Reedhow fitting... It WAS a gvt vehcle...

Cheap, Fast, Reliable.... Pick 2...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next