Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:38 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicle
hantayo13 wrote:
JC I have been watching...waiting to hear "it's alive"...

Hey Mr. H,
Hopefully THAT report will be made this morning.

Quote:
have been have same sort of luck wih my harley ultra...charges 14v at idle, increase engine speed drops to 8 v....

That's strange!

Quote:
just did the manifold thing 4 -6 times to get it right, even had to made a special wrench... now engine sits about two inches forward of where it to be and wont slide together...

Are you getting this worked out?

Quote:
good luck tomorrow

Thanks. started the Battery Charger going on the Battery at 4:30 a.m., so that it will be fully charged when the time comes to hit the Start Switch around 8:00 a.m.

Have done everything that can be done.

Lorrie is READY to start.

Only time will tell.

Will keep you updated.

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Post Office Vehicle - 225 Slant Six - Torqueflite A727 Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Drive Steering - Big Three HEI System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System - Bendix Stromberg Model W Carburetor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:21 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Hey All,
Sunday Morning Update.

Went out this morning at 4:30 a.m. with the Lantern, hooked up Lorrie's Battery to the Charger, and set it for a 2 Amp Trickle Charge.

Was subsequently out with Lorrie at 7:30 a.m.

Checked the Battery Voltage with the Multi-Meter and it was 11.99 Volts.

Was a little concerned that maybe the HEI Module was going to need a Ground Strap.

Checked the HEI Unit to Chassis Continuity, and much to my delight, the Unit was SOLIDLY grounded.

Put the Multi-Tester away, rolled up the Extension Cord, put the Battery Charger away, hooked up the Negative Battery Cable, got the spray can of Quick Start, and at 8:00 a.m. sharp, put a spritz of Quick Start in Lorrie's Stromberg Carburetor, turned on the Run Switch, and hit the Start Switch.

Lorrie mighty 225 Slant Six Engine fired, but didn't start.

This was understandable... After all, there was very little Gasoline in the Filter, and probably less in the Carburetor.

Gave Lorrie another spritz of Quick Start, and hit the Start Switch.

Again, Lorrie's Engine fired, but didn't start. BUT, she did run a little longer than the first time.

Gave Lorrie a third spritz of Quick Start, and hit the Start Switch, and LORRIE STARTED RIGHT UP!!!

Lorrie immediately settled into about a 600 RPM Smooth as silk idle. Quiet. Just sitting there purring a deep purr not unlike a Bengal Tiger.

Let her warm up to the point to where the Water Temperature Gauge just started to move, and then gave Lorrie a little Accelerator Pedal.

She responded INSTANTANEOUSLY!

Twas then that I realized that the Vacuum Line from the Carburetor had not been connected.

Shut the Engine down, and connected the Vacuum Line to the Distributor Vacuum Chamber Tube.

Turned on the Run Switch again, and without any Quick Start, hit the Start Switch, and Lorrie's might 225 Slant Six Engine once again ROARED to life, and settled into the same 600 RPM Tiger purr.

But now, with the Vacuum Line attached, the response to the Accelerator was even MORE instantaneous.

Lorrie's mighty 225 Slant Six Engine has NEVER sounded better.

Lorrie's Oil Pressure Gauge at idle reads about 50 psi, and when the Engine is revved up the Oil Pressure goes a bit past 60 psi.

Lorrie's Ammeter was sitting solidly at 30 Amps, but that will go down once her Battery is fully charged to 12.75 Volts.

Once the Engine was at operating temperature, the Gear Shift was put into D, and Lorrie was eased out of the location where six weeks and five days earlier she had given up the ghost, which was in direct sunlight from 10:30 a.m. till Sunset.

She was moved into the same shade where she had been sitting for sixteen years.

Moving her will make it possible to worked on her, getting her ready to go for her NEW Inspection Sticker either tomorrow or Tuesday, without having to stop work at 10:30 a.m.

Much depends on how difficult getting the Removable Floor Section prepared to install now that the HEI Unit is in place.

There is going to have to be some Flange modification made to the Removable Floor Section, and some NEW Mounting Fasteners installed.

Then will have to install the Engine Cabinetry.

Am going to let the Engine cool and then permanently install the Distributor to Control Module Wire Connectors. They were not permanently fastened because it may have been that they would have to be swapped. But they didn't NEED to be switched around, so now they need to be pushed all the way together so as not to vibrate loose.

Also, need to tighten the Bolt holding the Distributor down, but that will happen after the Timing Light is used to ascertain EXACTLY the timing on Lorrie's Engine.

But the upshot of all of this is: LORRIE AND HER MIGHTY 225 SLANT SIX ENGINE ARE ALIVE AND WELL!!! :)

BTW, remember it was previously mentioned that one of Lorrie's ORIGINAL Horns had stopped functioning? Well, with the Engine running, it is working again.

Am NOW going to have to make sure the Brake Lights are working consistently.

Am going to take her out for a test drive a bit later.

Am going to have to take the Plastic&Tarp off of Ms. American 3.14159 and start her up to move her to where Lorrie can get out of the driveway.

Ms. American needs a tune-up, and the Points&Condenser are here with which to do it.

She will start, but she has taken to having her mighty 390 P-Code Engine cut out and restart while driving. She has done this a couple of times now while coming home from Livingston.

So it looks as though Lorrie will hopefully get her NEW Inspection Sticker this coming week. Then she will become the Daily Driver here.

Of course, with a vehicle like Lorrie, one NEVER knows what she is going to do next.

Am hoping that she will just settle down to being the VERY reliable vehicle that she was when she was parked in 1996.

The renovation of Lorrie has been a long, strange, and wonderful journey. Filled with Ups&Downs, surprises, and unpredictable events with mysterious results.

But, with the help of everyone here, and especially Larry, over at the DodgeTalk Forum, who so generously sprang for the NEW Distributor, Control Module, and Ignition Coil, we have overcome almost overwhelming odds, and at least for now, Lorrie is ALIVE&WELL.

Anyway, hasn't this been fun, you guys? :)

Will, of course, keep you all updated on the continuing adventures of Lorrie Van Haul.

The world awaits.

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Post Office Vehicle - 225 Slant Six - Torqueflite A727 Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Drive Steering - Big Three HEI System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System - Bendix Stromberg Model W Carburetor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:08 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Image HOORAY! Say, now that you have HEI installed on Lorrie, would you consider installing it on Ms. American Pi? Installation is identical to Lorrie, except you need a Duraspark distributor instead of the points distributor you have now. Here is a wiring diagram:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:51 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
WOOHOO!!!!! Congrats JC... Which method was used for the deciding factor for the dist wires? Was it the inney menney minney moe, or the daisy petals that did the trick? :wink:

Umm Reed, one step at a time, lets not push the luck... :lol:

Besides his Ford Friends over on FM would never forgive him to use a GM module on his FE engine.. :roll:

Cheap, Fast, Reliable.... Pick 2...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:12 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Ho-ray!!!! :D :bow: And congratulations! Enjoy your victory!

1977 d-200 crew cab ex-army pickup wants it's /6 back
1962 Valiant 2 door, 170, three on the tree
1972 d-100 parts truck
80 volare wagon now a parts car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:29 am 
Supercharged

Mroldfart2u wrote:
Besides his Ford Friends over on FM would never forgive him to use a GM module on his FE engine.. :roll:

Meh, poop on them if they don't like upgrading to a better system! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:35 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
congrates JC great to hear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:32 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:
Image HOORAY!

Hey Reed,
With many thanks to YOU.

Quote:
Say, now that you have HEI installed on Lorrie, would you consider installing it on Ms. American Pi?

Actually, Ms. American is almost pristine as far as being molested is concerned.

She has an aftermarket Holley 4150, which is going to be replaced by a Proper&Correct Autolite 4100 that has been restored and is sitting here on the shelf.

Also, still have her ORIGINAL Water Pump which is functional, but want to have it rebuilt because of the matching numbers.

Also, still have her ORIGINAL Damper which is to be rebuilt and reinstalled, again because of the matching numbers.

Also, she has an aftermarket Distributor which I would like to replace with a NOS Stock Distributor.

Also, she has an antique aftermarket Mallory Ignition Coil.

Still have the ORIGINAL Mustard colored top Ignition Coil. Would like to get a NOS stock unit and mount it on the front of the Engine as it was originally.

Quote:
Installation is identical to Lorrie, except you need a Duraspark distributor instead of the points distributor you have now. Here is a wiring diagram:

Were it not for the fact that Ms. American is one of the rarest of all the Galaxies, seeing as to how she is the ONLY 1964 Ford Galaxie 500, Four-Door, Hard-Top, Fast-Back, Police Interceptor that Google finds on the whole World Wide Web, it would probably be alright to upgrade her Ignition System.

BUT, want to keep her as ORIGINAL as possible.

Have made tentative arrangements with a big time restorer to leave the 3.14 to him. He's promised to do all he can with her with all the original equipment.

Don't want here to end up being a museum piece or a trailer queen.

Am hoping that she will end up being a respected and well treated old car.

Am hoping the same for Lorrie, who appears to be the ONLY one of her kind left in the world.

Neither one of them deserve to be scrapped or mistreated.

Had I known better at the time, I probably wouldn't have done to Lorrie what has been done to her.

I keep telling her that it's alright to be a "resto-mod". Am not sure that she believes me though.

When she worked for the USPS, she was a soft little lady like a Patti Page or Tammy Wynette. I'm afraid that over the years that I've turned her into a Lady Gaga! :)

Anyway, thanks for the diagram, but am going to have to pass on this for the sake of matching numbers.

Take care.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:45 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Mroldfart2u wrote:
WOOHOO!!!!! Congrats JC...

Thanks Dusty! :)

Quote:
Which method was used for the deciding factor for the dist wires? Was it the inney menney minney moe, or the daisy petals that did the trick? :wink:

Actually, one of the wires from the Control Module was picked at random, and connected to one of the Wires from the Distributor picked at random. It was a 50/50 crapshoot. :) Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while!

Quote:
Umm Reed, one step at a time, lets not push the luck... :lol:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:

Most of them are NOT all that interested in keeping a vehicle pristine. They like to talk about Disk Brakes, Station Wagon Sway Bars, Floor Shift Linkages, and all sorts of stuff that make their Galaxies more like a hot rod than a classic car.

It has been a GREAT day. One that I'll remember for a long time.

Didn't know exactly what to expect, but when Lorrie fired right up as soon as she started getting gas, just had to lean back in her Suburu Reclining Bucket Seat and have a good long laugh.

Anyway Dusty, thanks for all the help you gave Lorrie and me. None of this could have been possible without the help from all the good people here at SlantSix, DodgeTalk, and FordMuscle.

Take care and stay cool.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:47 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:
Meh, poop on them if they don't like upgrading to a better system! :wink:

Hey Reed,
There has to be SOMETHING said for ORIGINALITY in the interest of matching numbers. :)

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:52 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

hantayo13 wrote:
congrates JC

Thanks Mr. H.

Quote:
great to hear

Am hoping the worst of it is behind us now.

Don't know what Lorrie is going to come up with next. Hopefully nothing.

We'll be going to get her NEW Inspection Sticker as soon as she has been test driven to make sure that everything continues to work, and as soon as she is completely reassembled with the Removable Floor and Engine Cabinetry put back in place.

Am looking at late Monday, or early Tuesday.

Will keep you updated.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:57 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

nuttyprof wrote:
Ho-ray!!!! :D :bow:

Hey Mr. NP,
"Celebrate, celebrate, dance to the music!"

Quote:
And congratulations! Enjoy your victory!

Am trying to relax after having had to make the effort that was made for the last six weeks. Am taking the rest of the day off.

What would really be nice for the rest of the day would be a about an eighteen inch deep snow storm! :)

Anyway, hang in there, you hear?

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:27 pm 
Supercharged

I guess that is why I don't want a rare or expensive car. I like to tinker and drive too much. As always, it is your car and your choice. Seeing as how rare your Galaxie is, I fully understand keeping it as original as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:48 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:
I guess that is why I don't want a rare or expensive car.

Hey Reed,
While I HAVE ended up with a couple of pretty rare old vehicles, it was NOT by any design that it happened. Didn't know when Lorrie came to live with me in 1975, that one day she would be the only one of her kind left. But while looking for information about the 1967 Dodge P200 Postal Van, came across a webpage that said that they were extinct!

And when my father sold me Ms. American for a buck, I knew that she was a P-Code (Police Interceptor), but THAT didn't mean much to me at the time. It was only when I posted on FordMuscle that I had a 1964 Ford Galaxie 500, Four-Door, Hard-Top, Fast-Back, Police Interceptor that I got told that there wasn't any such vehicle. And it was suggested that someone had switched Warranty Plates to sell me that car at an inflated price. AND that I should check the REAL VIN on the tab on the Cowl just above the Heater/Defroster Unit. Which I did, and it turned out to be the same as the VIN on the Warranty Plate.

Quote:
I like to tinker and drive too much.

Me too, though I don't get to get out much because of having a chemically suppressed immune system.

Quote:
As always, it is your car and your choice.

That's what has happened to Lorrie.

Quote:
Seeing as how rare your Galaxie is, I fully understand keeping it as original as possible.

It just seems fitting.

She needs a LOT of work. It's going to be another multiple year project, I'm afraid.

Anyway, the weather here is too hot to be outside after about 11:30 a.m. So am going to see if I can get Ms. American tuned up first thing in the morning so that I can do my weekly errands. That will make it to where I can more carefully prepare Lorrie for her date with the inspector.

Will keep you apprised of developments.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:05 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Hey All,
Tuesday Early Morning Update:

Got the Brake Lights to working. It was as suspected the fittings not making connection.

In the process of checking all the Lights, the Right Rear Turn Signal Bulb blew! Fortunately there is a supply of them here.

Got the Flanges cut off of the Removable Floor Section. While it is cooling from being cut with a Cutting Wheel in the Die Grinder, am taking a break.

Have to do some smoothing of the edges of the Removable Floor with a File, and it will be ready to be installed. The Master Cylinder Access Hatch has to be put in place.

Then have to install six Screw to hold the Engine Cabinetry in place, put on the Air Cleaner, install the Lids to the Engine Cabinetry and Lorrie will be ready to go get her NEW Inspection Sticker.

Don't know if Lorrie is going to do something to fail the Inspection? Hopefully she won't, but only time will tell.

Will write more when more is known.

JC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next