Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 512 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:28 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicle
Mroldfart2u wrote:
I checked on Radio Shack dot com, and boy has their "hobby" components been cut back. I went thru about 5 pages of heat sinks, and none of them LOOK like they would work, but that being said MOST of them are 'Web-Only' order which tells me that they no longer "stock" the items.

Hey Dusty,
Have to go there to get Heat Sink Paste.

Quote:
Still wouldn't hurt to wander in store and have a look-see, who knows they may have some "OLD STOCK" in their bins.

Doubt that. They are a relatively NEW store.

Quote:
You MIGHT check @ the home improvement center also, there is no telling what you might find to use or can modify for use. The Dimmer you said you think you've seen might also work... This is kinda like one of those things that "its not made for this but it will work" deals.

An exercise of ingenuity in action! :)

Quote:
Hope YOU are having a wonderful morning, overcast and cooler here right now.

Went out this morning to go to the Post Office and the Grocery Store. It was nice until coming out of the Store that it sprinkled just enough to get everything wet. Try not to take Ms. American out in the rain, be we were already out when the rain got us. Oh well, those things happen.

Quote:
PS Looky @ what a DuckDuckGo search turned up... GM HEI Module Heat Sink

Saw that. Looks like it is exactly what is needed.

Thanks for the reference.

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Post Office Vehicle - 225 Slant Six - Torqueflite A727 Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Drive Steering - Big Three HEI System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System - Bendix Stromberg Model W Carburetor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:00 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
JC- if you are like me and are a packrat, you should have some dead electronics device such as an old computer or old stereo that will already have an adaptable heat sink in it. Look for a heat sink on computer processors or the power supply of old stereos. However, you truly only need just a flat piece of aluminum to mount the HEI module on. The first car I converted to HEI didn't even HAVE a heat sink or a relay and I got perfect service out of the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:04 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:
JC- if you are like me and are a packrat,

Hey Reed,
Am not exactly a pack-rat, but have lots of ye olde stuff. The only saving grace of it is that everything is pretty well organized, and stored in a mostly orderly manner.

Quote:
You should have some dead electronics device such as an old computer or old stereo that will already have an adaptable heat sink in it.

Alright.

Quote:
Look for a heat sink on computer processors or the power supply of old stereos.

Alright.

Quote:
However, you truly only need just a flat piece of aluminum to mount the HEI module on.

Have heard this from a number of sources.

Quote:
The first car I converted to HEI didn't even HAVE a heat sink or a relay and I got perfect service out of the system.

Have had a suggestion that a visit to the Livingston GM Dealership might be a way to get the PROPER Heat Sink for Lorrie's HEI Electric Ignition System.

So am just having a laid-back Sunday. Am going to start on Lorrie's OLD Distributor presently.

Anyway, thanks for the Heat Sink Tips.

JC

Lorrie Van Haul - 1967 Dodge - P200 Post Office Vehicle - 225 Slant Six - Torqueflite A727 Automatic Transmission - Right Hand Drive Steering - Big Three HEI System - Frantz Oil Cleaner System - Bendix Stromberg Model W Carburetor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:18 pm 
Supercharged

JCAllison wrote:
Am not exactly a pack-rat, but have lots of ye olde stuff. The only saving grace of it is that everything is pretty well organized, and stored in a mostly orderly manner.

You are doing better than me! I have stuffed my garage, my attic, AND a storage unit full of crap I will probably never use, but I just can't bear to part with.

You probably could get one of the fancy "all-in-one" coil/heat sink/HEI unit mounting brackets from a GM dealer.

Either way, keep us informed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:28 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:
You are doing better than me! I have stuffed my garage, my attic, AND a storage unit full of crap I will probably never use, but I just can't bear to part with.

Hey Reed,
I sometimes wonder: What is ever going to happen to us and all of our stuff?

Quote:
You probably could get one of the fancy "all-in-one" coil/heat sink/HEI unit mounting brackets from a GM dealer.

There is such a unit? For what would one ask?

Quote:
Either way, keep us informed.

For sure.

Have SOME of the tracking numbers. Am going to be starting the tracking of all the stuff that has been shipped.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:32 am 
Supercharged

JCAllison wrote:
Reed wrote:

There is such a unit? For what would one ask?

See HERE.

SlantSixDan wrote:
Combination coil/module/heatsink/bracket

A tidy option is to use the combination HEI coil/module/mounting bracket originally found in just about all gasoline-fired GM pickups and RWD SUVs from '96 to at least '00. It includes a nice sturdy mounting bracket, heat sink for the module, E-core ignition coil…all in one

See also HERE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:52 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Reed wrote:
See HERE.

See also HERE

Hey Reed,
Thanks for the reminders.

Have this morning ordered the Standard Brand LX301 Control Module's Heat Sink. So it is on its way here just like all the other stuff.

Am more and more finding out that what was previously adequate is not any longer.

The more one knows about stuff the more one can see that there are more problems possible.

This thing with Lorrie... Have NEVER had a problem just with setting the Points Gap and just going merrily along. BUT, now that closer attention is being paid to things because Lorrie doesn't seem to want to cooperate with just setting something and going merrily along, am finding that everything that could possibly be wrong includes much of what I know as the way to deal with either Lorrie or Ms. American.

In messing with Lorrie's OLD Distributor this morning, came across something else that may or may not be salient.

If one just holds onto the Body of the Distributor in one hand, and checks the amount of play in the Distributor Shaft with the other hand, it seems to be alright.

BUT if one holds the Body of the Distributor in BOTH hands and pushes on the Distributor Shaft with one's thumbs, and if this is done in the proper direction with the Distributor Shaft's Hex Cam in contact with the Point Set's Rub Block, one can observe about a 0.010 greater opening of the Point Gap, which means that the Distributor's Shaft is not as tight in its bearings as a less careful inspection would have one believe.

BUT, the Distributor's Shaft doesn't move in the opposite Direction when this handling is done from the other side. By that is meant: The Point's Gap doesn't lessen 0.010 when the Distributor Shaft is pushed away from the Point's Set Rub Block.

Would it be reasonable to assume that maybe there is 0.010 inches of slop in the Distributor Shaft's Bearings? And would that be significant?

Sometimes I wonder.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:24 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Hey All,
The UPS Truck just delivered a package that was supposed to contain an AC Delco Electronic Ignition Control Module Heat Sink, Parts Number ACD10474610, which can be viewed at:

http://www.oehq.com/acdelco-parts_10474610_ACD_ACDelco-Heat-Sink-Electronic-Ignition-Control-Module-Heat-Sink~1996-GMC-K

What got delivered is shown here:

As you can see, the item that was delivered is NOT what is shown in the URL referenced above.

Have sent the supplier's Customer Service an E-Mail requesting instructions on how to return the item and get a refund of the price of the item, the cost of shipping here, and the cost of shipping it back.

Have also been in touch with the local United States Post Office a number of times today with regards to the NOS Mopar Electronic Truck Distributor.

The United States Postal Service have yet to receive, find, or deliver this item which was shipped last week by Priority Mail, and was supposed to be here last Tuesday or Wednesday.

These two items comprise yet another couple of pieces of Mule Meat involved with the project of converting Lorrie Van Haul's Standard Ignition System over to an HEI Electronic Ignition System.

Will keep you all updated on developments.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:24 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
If you still need a heatsink let me know, I'll send you one for the cost of shipping!

1977 d-200 crew cab ex-army pickup wants it's /6 back
1962 Valiant 2 door, 170, three on the tree
1972 d-100 parts truck
80 volare wagon now a parts car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:01 am 
Turbo Slant 6

nuttyprof wrote:
If you still need a heatsink let me know, I'll send you one for the cost of shipping!

Hey Dave,
Would it be the PROPER Heat Sink like the one in the photo in the URL?

If it woulds, I would GLADLY send you a check for shipping it UPS or FedEx. OR, United States Postal Service IF YOU WOULD REGISTER IT TO WHERE IT HAS TO BE SIGNED FOR TO TAKE DELIVERY.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!

Have had six packages that couldn't be traced JUST disappear over the past two years. Everything that has to be signed for get to me. If it is just sent without any way to keep track of it, it just poofs into thin air! :(

Thanks for the response and VERY generous offer. May get Lorrie's HEI Electronic Ignition Conversion done after all.

Anyway Dave, let me hear from you about the Heat Sink, and I'll PM you the shipping instructions, and we'll figure out how to get you paid.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:18 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Those that I have are not "official HEI heatsinks" just very good extruded finned aluminum heatsinks for electronics. If you pm me an address I'll send you one and you can pay me back for shipping when you get it. Take your pick of these. The sheet aluminum one has no fins but it has broached bolt holes spaced right for a 4 pin module.
pictures at http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/sho ... 1969545173
Nuttyprof

1977 d-200 crew cab ex-army pickup wants it's /6 back
1962 Valiant 2 door, 170, three on the tree
1972 d-100 parts truck
80 volare wagon now a parts car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:55 am 
Turbo Slant 6

nuttyprof wrote:
Those that I have are not "official HEI heatsinks" just very good extruded finned aluminum heatsinks for electronics.

Hey Dave,
Have looked at the JPGs in the URL supplied.

Quote:
If you pm me an address I'll send you one and you can pay me back for shipping when you get it.

As you know, the "Bracket" that got sent here purporting to be a Heat Sink for an LX301 Control Module was not the part that was ordered. Have sent an E-Mail to the supplier explaining that they sent the wrong part. Maybe it was in the wrong box. Who knows?

But let me finish with dealing with this supplier before you send one of your Heat Sinks. It may be that they will send the RIGHT part.

Quote:
Take your pick of these. The sheet aluminum one has no fins but it has broached bolt holes spaced right for a 4 pin module.
pictures at http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/sho ... 1969545173
Nuttyprof

Am going to hold off on this, but let me assure you that your very generous offer is MUCH appreciated.

As for further developments:

UPS Tracking says that the HEI Ignition Coil will be delivered here tomorrow by the end of the day.

AND, the NOS Mopar Electronic Truck Distributor got sent to Florida instead of here. The fellow in Florida who got it is UPS over-night-ing it to here tomorrow morning, which means it will arrive here either on Tuesday, or Wednesday.

So the gathering of the HEI Electronic Ignition System components is continuing apace.

Will keep you updated on any progress.

JC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:05 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Daytime soap operas got nuthin' on this melodrama! Keep posting, I like what I read here. With your resolve nothing is impossible. Have you considered a career in politics , instead ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:57 am 
Turbo Slant 6

mexicanjoe wrote:
Daytime soap operas got nuthin' on this melodrama!

Hey Mr. MJ,
It HAS turned into a kind of tragicomedy, hasn't it? In actuality, there IS a lot of contemplating being done here about what is causing this continual process of everything being just fine, and then all of a sudden something goes amiss and in a domino effect cascade of problems, and solutions another point is reached where everything is once again fine, only to have something ELSE go amiss.

I'm tending to agree and side with Daniel, about there being huge chunks of knowledge and terminology that are possibly missing ingredients in this whole endeavor, yet what goes wrong is understandable, and every effort is made to fill in any gaps in the comprehension of the problem and then the solution to the problem. And once something is understood and then actually implemented, the skill and expertise that comes from actually experiencing the doing of whatever is the net gain.

Quote:
Keep posting, I like what I read here.

Alright, for sure.

Quote:
With your resolve nothing is impossible.

The resolution to finally, at last, get and have Lorrie back to being the implicitly trusted friend that she was back from the mid '70s till the mid '90s, WAS initially the motive power behind the renovation.

And after two and a half years, the project was considered done. Lorrie was alive and well, able to do all that she used to do when we were working together at our, at the time, occupation of being a concert performer.

And then one thing after another began to plague the endeavor.

We have, at the advent of each problem, met it with a solution that included replacing whatever was causing the problem with an upgraded equipage, and then working at the assembling and installation till there is absolutely no doubt that it was accomplished exactly and precisely as it should have been.

At that point, Lorrie is once again deemed READY.

And then, the assembled whole seems to be just fine, only to fail to continue to be fine and do what she was intended to do.

This then , leads to the NEXT domino in the cascade, and ANOTHER opportunity to learn, in-depth and explicitly, the functions that go to make up an entity such as Lorrie Van Haul.

There is no reason that Lorrie can't be a GREAT running, reliable and trustworthy vehicle. Everything that has been done to and with her is exactly the way it should be. At present, am at a loss to explain her recalcitrance.

Quote:
Have you considered a career in politics , instead ?

Actually, though I am aware of the world of politics, am quite past the time for a career in the field. I'm seventy-three years old, nearly blind, barely mobile, dealing with a terminal, genetic, auto-immune disease, the therapy of which consists of ingesting chemicals to suppress the immune system. As long as the immune system is suppressed, I seem to be fine, except for the factor that having no immune system makes me vulnerable to all the OTHER diseases out there.

As a result of this, I live mostly in a "bubble" which excludes personal contact with other people. I go out and about to do the errands that make existence continue, but other than that, I am pretty much confined to my home and have to content myself with doing all the things necessary to exist day to day.

And at the present, Lorrie Van Haul seems to be one of the major projects that is going on here.

BTW, if you'd like to catch up on EVERYTHING that has been done in the renovation of Lorrie Van Haul, you can read and see JPGs of the entire two and a half years (and counting) renovation here:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275562

and here:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352735

And for JPGs of Lorrie, click here:

http://msamericanpi.bravehost.com/dodge.htm

Anyway, the Standard BlueStreak #FD-478X Ignition Coil is scheduled to arrive today by UPS, and the NOS Mopar Electronic Truck Distributor topped with a heavy duty Distributor Cap with Copper/Brass Terminals should arrive Tomorrow or Wednesday.

Once all the component to do the HEI Conversion of Lorrie's Ignition System have arrived, will figure out how to assemble, and then install them.

Then comes the adjusting of them to see if we can make Lorrie functional again. If we are successful, we will once again declare Lorrie fit to resume service.

The next step is to have her Inspected, and then she'll become the Daily Driver here, and her running mate, Ms. American 3.14159, the ONLY 1964 Ford Galaxie 500, Four-Door, Hard-Top, Fast-Back, Police Interceptor that Google finds on the WHOLE World Wide Web will get some much needed attention.

Will keep you ALL updated on any progress.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:18 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Hey All,
The supplier who sent the Bracket in the box labeled as being a Control Module Heat Sink has just responded to my E-Mail by apologizing for sending the mis-boxed part, and informing me that they have refunded the full purchase price and shipping costs.

They didn't say what to do with the part that they sent.

Responded by thanking them for their assistance in this matter. Asked them what to do with the Bracket that they sent. And reiterated that I would like to acquire the PROPER Control Module Heat Sink.

Am waiting to hear back from them.

JC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 512 Next