Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:08 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I am having a problem with the door handle inside not returning forward after opening the door.(like it is missing a spring)
I have looked through the FSM without any luck. and I never really noticed that the passenger side is the same way(I've never ridden over there)
I would appreciate any help locating it in the manual,or just tell me what to look for in broken parts.-Thanks Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:30 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
The handle has to have something to make it return, like a spring, unless maybe the handle is binding. the handles on my 2 '64 darts return properly, so I've never checked. They feel like there's a return spring, but where is it? I've stared at the '64 Dodge parts book 'til my eyes crossed, but I could only narrow it down to the "remote control" which is the mechanism the handle attaches to, or the latch. The answer is out there...somewhere.

BC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:04 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
there is a plunger/spring assembly inside the the push button, the spring could be broke -- or the assembly could be full of crud, spray some wd-40 in the area & see if that helps.

your door latch mechanism -- might need a cleaning also, the grease used from the factory eventually dries out & becomes very hard-- causing issues with the latch ,Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:31 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
the handles work fine(no binding or dragging), they just do not return. There is nothing in the Service Manual :?: . I am going to disassemble the whole mechanism this weekend. I will take pics and post. Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
there is a plunger/spring assembly inside the the push button
do you mean the pushbutton on the outside handle? It works good. My problem is mainly with the inside handles.(both have the same problem)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:15 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant V200 Sedan
We're in the same boat, I think One day, while opening my driver's door, I heard/felt something "tink", and the handle will no longer return on its own. (1964 Valiant) There's a clock spring on the inside of the door handle mechanism. I don't know if the spring or something related broke. I spent some time trying to wiggle the mechanism out, but didn't get anywhere.

Here's a none-too-good photo. I really need to rig up a stick-cam and light to figure this out. I don't want to take the window mechanism out if I don't have to.

1964 Valiant V200, 225/Pushbutton 904
BBD, CAI, HEI, LBP, AC, AM/FM/USB, EIEIO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:57 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
GREAT! Thanks for the picture! That is exactly what I needed. I kinda imagined thats what it might be, just couldn't see it. The Spring is probably made out of unobtanium. :lol: Thanks again! -Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:47 am 
Turbo EFI

Please take photos of what you find in yours, and post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:36 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I couldn't tell from the pic, is that housing for the spring welded to the door? If so, the screw needs to come out and any broken pieces salvaged from the bottom of the door. If you're lucky, maybe it just slipped. (I wouldn't bet the farm on that!)

If the spring is broken - maybe any old mopars in junkyard? I would invent a linear return spring from something like a screen door spring. Secure one end to the operating rod and the other to the door. It might work!!

BC

Early Dart Disorder (EDD) is real, and I've got it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:56 am 
Turbo EFI

I've put the door back together since, but here's what I recall: The housing is bolted in place. Removing the bolts lets it move, but it must move inwards enough to clear the shaft, and the window mechanism and my fat hands/arms are in the way. There's probably a combination of motions that I'm just not getting.

I haven't found anything but dust in the door so far, but I need to take another look. There are some slots (for ventilation or drainage?) where something may have escaped or, I hope, lodged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:33 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Danarchy wrote:
GREAT! Thanks for the picture! That is exactly what I needed. I kinda imagined thats what it might be, just couldn't see it. The Spring is probably made out of unobtanium. :lol: Thanks again! -Dan

So, Dan, what did you find? Inquiring minds want to know!

And, slantvaliant, I see what ya mean about the spring assembly not moving far enough. I know what you mean about arms/hands in the way! I have the scars to prove it!
Your picture looks like the window mechanism will need to be loosened or removed. They really didn't build 'em to be serviced fifty years later!

BC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:18 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
sorry, got sidetracked on other problems. Hope to get to it this next week. I will post pictures and findings.

looking at it, I don't believe the window mech. will need to be touched at all.I have the panel off the drivers side and it is ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:39 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Darn! I just hate it when the world interferes with my /6 fantasy world. Maybe your hands & arms are skinnier than some of us. Good luck!

BC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:24 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I have that problem, I just fling the bottom of the door handle button with my finger to pop it back out. Thats on my passenger side. I lost door handle button on the driver's side.

1977 Mercedes-Benz 300D, 5cyl diesel(For sale!)