Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:54 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I haven't posted anything in a while, but I figured you guys would like this.

Ive been working on my 72 swinger consistently for almost 3 years, and I'd like to share some pics of my build.

T-70 .70 front .96 rear.
I'm running 10 psi on 10.5:1 compression with AEM meth injection (a little unorthodox I know, but this engine already had h-beam rods and Wiseco pistons before and turbo plans were made. So I just decided to stick with my bottom end and run low boost with a bigger turbo, which is working quite nicely.)
Quickfuel 650 blowthrough carb
Petronix ignition with 18 degree stop
Flamethrower coil
Holley blue pump and aeromotive regulator putting out 14 psi at full boost
Electric fans with a cantech controller

Still working on tuning, it's keeping consistent Afr coming into boost and stays nice and rich at peak boost..

Haven't dynod yet but it's making plenty of power to move the 3000lb car with 4.10 gears and my 833 OD quite impressively.

Here's the good stuff

http://s1164.photobucket.com/albums/q571/Tdh225/

I'll continue to add pictures to that album if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Cheers everyone

Tyler
[/img]

Last edited by fastsl6nt on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:04 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Has anyone else had experience with AEM water/meth injection?

The pump and controller are great, but their quick connects suck!

I used their tankless low boost system and got a custom stainless cell to fit in my spare tire well for $60 :wink:

72 Dart Swinger /6T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:18 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Nice, I have those rims on my '65 Dart.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:52 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
fastsl6nt wrote:
I haven't posted anything in a while, but I figured you guys would like this.

Ive been working on my 72 swinger consistently for almost 3 years, and I'd like to share some pics of my build.

T-70 .70 front .96 rear.
I'm running 10 psi on 10.5:1 compression with AEM meth injection (a little unorthodox I know, but this engine already had h-beam rods and Wiseco pistons before and turbo plans were made. So I just decided to stick with my bottom end and run low boost with a bigger turbo, which is working quite nicely.)
Quickfuel 650 blowthrough carb
Petronix ignition with 18 degree stop
Flamethrower coil
Holley blue pump and aeromotive regulator putting out 12 psi at full boost
Electric fans with a cantech controller

Still working on tuning, it's keeping consistent Afr coming into boost and stays nice and rich at peak boost..

Haven't dynod yet but it's making plenty of power to move the 3000lb car with 4.10 gears and my 833 OD quite impressively.

Here's the good stuff

http://s1164.photobucket.com/albums/q571/Tdh225/

I'll continue to add pictures to that album if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Cheers everyone

Tyler
[/img]

Wow, Tyler; that is a really nice setup!

We (my racing partner and I) have also been working on a turbo /6 for about three years, in a '64 Valiant 4-door. We have some problems getting it ready for the strip. but are working on it and hoping it won't be long before it's ready.

See it at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/billdedman/

What intake manifold are you running? It looks kind of like our Aussie Speed "Hurricane" long runner version.

Please keep us informed as to your progress; it looks like a really nice setup to me. Curious minds, etc., etc., etc... :)

Bill in Conway, Arkansas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:52 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
kesteb wrote:
Nice, I have those rims on my '65 Dart.

Thanks! The salt flats are deffinetly a cool wheel.

72 Dart Swinger /6T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:01 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
@billdedman

Wow! That is a nice set up! Love that exhaust manifold!

Yes my intake is also an Aussie speed hurricane. Some hardcore turbo guys hate on its long runners, but I think it benefits on the low end before I get into boost at about 3k rpm.

I can't wait to see how your car runs it looks awesome. And where can I get one of those slant six turbo stickers?

72 Dart Swinger /6T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:46 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Tyler,

Looks like a great setup and a very cool car. I'll be interested to see how the exh man holds up for long term street use. I would be interested in trying that.

I have a T60-1 turbo on 9psi with the AEM water/meth inj. I agree the quick connects are not the best, but it seems to work well otherwise. I have no intercooler. So far, 23-24 MPG hwy and 14.20s @ 100 MPH in a 3500lb 68 Dart. Need a higher stall to get it off the line.

Cheers,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:31 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Dart270 wrote:
Tyler,

Looks like a great setup and a very cool car. I'll be interested to see how the exh man holds up for long term street use. I would be interested in trying that.

I have a T60-1 turbo on 9psi with the AEM water/meth inj. I agree the quick connects are not the best, but it seems to work well otherwise. I have no intercooler. So far, 23-24 MPG hwy and 14.20s @ 100 MPH in a 3500lb 68 Dart. Need a higher stall to get it off the line.

Cheers,

Lou

Thank you, I'm also interested in seeing how the Manifold holds up. It worked out fairly easy compared to making a tubular mani so I figured I would give it a shot. I've been running around with it for over almost 2 months and it's sees boost quite often and so far it's fine.

I had a problem with the line blowing out of the quick connect on the nozzle. Every time I was in boost in 3rd that bitch would blow off. AEM even sent me a complete nozzle replace,ent and it still happened. I think it had to do with the heat from the manifolds and the stress of the bend going back to the fire wall. I fixed the problem with a 90 deg 1/4 in compression fitting instead of the quick connect and now it works beautifully

72 Dart Swinger /6T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:48 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Yeah, I should do that on mine. Having 2 liters of water/meth sprayed all over hot parts does not sound great, not to mention the lack of detonation protection.

Lou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:48 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I have two cars with the Snowperformance BoostCooler alky/water injector and they both have monumental problems with the "trick" tubing connectors. I think the "trick" part is getting them to work reliably... Good luck!

Why they can't just use conventional flare or compression fittings on these is beyond me.

I've spent $$$ and hours attempting to get a solid, leak-free connection with these *&^%&$#!! things...

I have finaly got them reliable, I THINK, but can't be sure...

I thought it was just "me." Maybe not...

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:06 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
billdedman wrote:
I have two cars with the Snowperformance BoostCooler alky/water injector and they both have monumental problems with the "trick" tubing connectors. I think the "trick" part is getting them to work reliably... Good luck!

Why they can't just use conventional flare or compression fittings on these is beyond me.

I've spent $$$ and hours attempting to get a solid, leak-free connection with these *&^%&$#!! things...

I have finaly got them reliable, I THINK, but can't be sure...

I thought it was just "me." Maybe not...

Bill

If the "trick" connects thread in, take them out and use a compression fitting like I did. There's no way the line can leak then lol. I also bought some high temp 1/4 line to replace the Aem line where it is exposed to heat. Put some good DEI insulation on the line from the fire wall to the nozzle to keep it nice and cool.

72 Dart Swinger /6T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:16 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Tyler,

The problem is, they DON'T have threads on them; they are "push-in" plastic tubes that engage some sort of Rube Goldberg spring-pressure mechanism that is supposed to effect a seal.... but doesn't.

If it were a simple matter of adding a flare or compression fitting, I could deal with that, but it's not... it's PLASTIC...

Junk...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:21 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Wow that's a shame bill, atleast the AEM system has a threaded aluminum nozzle. You could always buy an AEM nozzle assembly to replace what you have now, I think they are around $60

72 Dart Swinger /6T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:12 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks, Tyler,

If it gives me any more problems, that's what I'll do.
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:36 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I use plastic lines at work that "have to seal" and they actually do have a tapered ferrel in them. I'm not sure how much pressure they are good for though. You can also run them off and on by hand and they still seal well. Almost a quick connect! :lol: :lol:
Rick