Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Coolant overflow bottle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:53 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I recently purchased a bottle just like this one for my 71 Duster.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/sho ... t+overflow

Tried test fitting it in the car and there's almost no way to mount it without it hitting the alternator pulley and fan belt. I know 71's didn't come with the overflow bottles but I figured things wouldn't have changed too much from 71 to 73 when they came out. Has anyone successfully installed one of these in a 72 or older A body? Were there different bottles for slant six and V8 applications?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:23 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
No difference between \6 and V8 reserve tanks. Quite a lot changed in the front-end structure of the A-bodies for '73. There's more headspace up front in a '73 than in a '72. I'm afraid this what you bought probably can't be made to fit in your '71.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:34 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I Think I may still have a left over 70's overflow tank, the bolt holes should be the same as your passenger side radiator mount, but the bottle is meant to be tucked beside the crowded late engine bay on those beasts, it's about 4"x4"x typical radiator height. I notice on my '67 Valiant they put the horns in the location the bottle went, but there was more room once I relocated them (1973-1976 = under the battery tray...)

If you can be patient, I'll swing by my shop tomorrow evening and see if I still have it in my "overflow bottles" bin, and do a test fit/size up in on one of my late dusters to see if this will even be "doable".

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:53 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
That explains it Dan. I had no idea there was more headspace on a 73.

DI, that would be great man. I've gone years without one so I can wait however long. While I was test fitting it over the weekend, the only way I could imagine it fitting was by mounting it up fairly high. Moving the horns didn't cross my mind though. That's a good idea to work with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:06 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I read somewhere that yellowed brittle plastic can be refreshed by submerging it in boiling water for 20 minutes or so. Somehow the heat resets the clock on the stuff.

Sorry I can’t recall where I read this, but it was an automotive site of some sort, and the discussion was regarding old windshield washer fluid tanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:07 pm 

Car Model:
I took another route: switched to Evans waterless coolant, thus making an overflow tank redundant and unnecessary (along with the other benefits).

Post subject: Yep...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:52 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The bottle you have is the 1975-1976 bottle...and it mounts to two oval holes on the passenger side of the radiator mount about inline with the alternator pulley and overlaps the radiator mount/passenger side flange.

It's been a while since I've seen under the hood of a 70-72 duster, if the horns are mounted in that position, you can remove them, drill the holes for your bottle (like the last of the A-bodies, reservoir cap almost even with the top of the radiator...), and then make a jumper wire of the appropriate guage and mount the horns someplace else in the engine bay (or behind the grille/bumper...that'll make 'em sound louder!).

Quote:
thus making an overflow tank redundant and unnecessary

That it would, although if he decides to bracket race with the Cali crowd, he will be required regardless of coolant to mount an overflow bottle under the hood. :wink:

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:16 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I took the horn off and it's really only possible to mount the bottle in this one spot. Any other spot, the bottle either wont sit straight or will hit the alternator. It's about an inch and a quarter from the pulley and belt. Should gain another 1/4" when the holes are drilled and it's mounted. What do you guys think, enough clearance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:25 pm 

Car Model:
Don't make a hassle for yourself -- check that you can still pivot the alternator inward and remove/replace the belt without having to remove the tank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:26 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
The coolant overflow bottle on my van is a used coolant jug with a hose running into a hole drilled in the cap. It is held in place with bungee cords and zip ties. All you need is a container that will hold coolant and won't spill at extreme angles. Unless you are dead set on having a factory coolant overflow tank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:09 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
The coolant overflow bottle on my van is a used coolant jug with a hose running into a hole drilled in the cap. It is held in place with bungee cords and zip ties. All you need is a container that will hold coolant and won't spill at extreme angles. Unless you are dead set on having a factory coolant overflow tank.

I ran a 2 liter pop bottle in my old '70 Fury..... :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:47 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I've got a 16 oz Carling O'Keefe Old Vienna beer can held in place with a zip tie as my overflow .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:22 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The position you have it is right where it would be for the last A-body cars.

Here's a couple of quick pics of my '73 converted to use that same bottle (holes had to be drilled similar to my '76's)

It's a pretty tight fit, but you can barely get the fan belt out of there...it's a practice run for the cramped emissions friendly bays to come in the following years.

This bottle bolts directly to the holes for the fan cowl on the radiator and is only about 4" x 4" and fits the A-body perfectly in that spot (note 19" radiator in use here. I got it out of either a late B or C body, I think...for just such an occasion, but the PO cut a hole in the top cap... :(

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:34 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Eric W wrote:

I ran a 2 liter pop bottle in my old '70 Fury..... :mrgreen:

I used a 16oz "tall boy" Budwieser can to pass tech at the local strip many moons ago.. :shock:

Cheap, Fast, Reliable.... Pick 2...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:39 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I think I'll go ahead and try it. Beats dumping coolant out in my garage and driveway. I'm kind of a stickler about things looking stock or at least somewhat close to stock so I don't want to just go with a can of Oly zip tied to the rad support :lol:

Do you guys know what kind of cap I should use with the bottle? I think there are different caps for systems with bottles so they'll suck the coolant back into the radiator, but I'm not 100% sure.