Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:15 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I was reading in the archives about Doc's cheap efi manifold and I liked the low budget grass roots approch. But I was saddened by the end when there was a to be continued on how to make a fuel rail. I know a good clean set up is by buying the fuel rail blank extrusion and machining the raw stock to fit your needs. But that can still get pricey. I was woundering if anyone has made there own fuel rails from bits and pieces from the local hardware store? Or have another idea for low budget fuel distribution to the injectors.

I have a couple cast iron 1bbl manifolds rusting away just begging for a new lease on life as a efi manifold. So I would need to make a fuel rail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:36 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
My Dart's fuel rail is a piece of square mechanical tubing. There's flat plate sections welded on to thicken it where the injectors attach. The ends have flat plate welded over them and tapped for pipe threads.

I didn't make it, had a local machine shop handle it as I can't weld aluminum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:50 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I have stuck a few pieces of aluminum together with my spool gun on my mig but don't trust myself yet on the rail or manifold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:02 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Accel makes a universal fuel rail and fuel bungs, summit racing sells them, they come in assorted lengths, I think I bought a 2 ft length for about $70. Used a drill press and drilled manifold, had a local fab shop weld in bungs for $50, could of J B welded them if I wanted, marked and drilled fuel rail on drill press, drilled and tappet ends of rail for A N fittings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:00 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Ross machine racing has some dash 6 fuel rail on ebay for sale as scratch and dent. its half their normal price and just has some scuff marks. A 17/32 or 13.5 mm drill bit and a 9/16 NC tap sealed with Permatex high temperature thread sealant and you have a rail for less than the cost of fittings to cobble something together. (specifically use that sealant px#59214, it is rated for high temperatures, is designed for fuel systems, can seal large gaps, and is re-positionable so you don't have to worry about it cracking from bolting on or removing your fuel line fittings.)
Tapping for AN fittings would also work well, I didn't because i was adapting a saturn fuel rail and the AN's would have been an extra expense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:43 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1965 Barracuda 'S' auto
V8 Rustang fuel rail, cut in half where it crosses over, cut back one more injector so you have 2 3 bung halves, mount up and trim to 1" of bungs and then connect with solder or braze or high pressure EFI hose and clamps fuel rail is like 15 at pick-a-part and you get the regator too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:33 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Look at a later caddy northstar motor. They have fuel rails made of individual bungs connected with short pieces of rubber hose, no joke. but the bungs have clips so.....yopull have to make a rail so the bungs can clip to something. The plastic intake had the clip in sockets, the hose was nylon FYI. Was a shrink fit deal.

Post subject: Fuel Rail
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:51 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I have a alot of different fuel rails that if some body wanted to cut and weld they could modify a rail to make it work for the slant 6. If interested let me know , just pay for shipping . Aluminum gm v6 to straight 4 to v8 stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:04 pm 
EFI Slant 6

stainless caddy Northstar models can be cut and welded. first 3 and last 3. offset is perfect. Need to TIG weld it or solder it as its stainless. It includes pressure regulator and AN-4 schreader relief valve.