Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:10 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I found out the timing is 7° ATC. The distributor cannot be retarded anymore. Why is this so? What can I do to get the timing where it should be? If you need details ask and I will tell.

Go ahead and save that weird car, the sedan, the 6 cylinder, the C-Body. If you want a big block musclecar and that's all you care about, your missing the point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:17 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Common problem!

Check to bolt underneath the distributor body......there is a plate that can shorten the throw. With the engine off feel underneath the left side of the distributor body and you will feel a small bolt holding a clamp.......not the same as the hold down clamp on the engine. I think it is 3/8", loosen it up and you can get more throw.

http://cid-32f1e50ddb40a03c.photos.live ... %20Swinger

74 Swinger, 9.5 comp 254/.435 lift cam, 904, ram air, electric fans, 2.5" HP2 & FM70 ex, 1920 Holley#56jet, 2.76 8 3/4 Sure-Grip, 26" tires, 25+MPG

Post subject: It's...
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:53 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
I think it is 3/8", loosen it up and you can get more throw.

Should be 7/16" just like the hold down bolt. If you are at 7 ADTC it's already retarded it needs to rotate counter clockwise to advance the
timing so you are at TDC or somewhere BTDC.

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:43 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Or someone had the distributor out & put in "a tooth off". If so you'd remove the distributor cap & hold-down bolt. Pull the dist out some while watching the rotor- when it stops moving twist it about 1/8"-1/4" clockwise (I think) & put the dist back. reassemble & reset timing.

(All this assumes that your TDC mark is accurate- you might want verify since it's possible the dampener outer ring has slipped)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:14 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
WagonsRcool wrote:
Or someone had the distributor out & put in "a tooth off". If so you'd remove the distributor cap & hold-down bolt. Pull the dist out some while watching the rotor- when it stops moving twist it about 1/8"-1/4" clockwise (I think) & put the dist back. reassemble & reset timing.

(All this assumes that your TDC mark is accurate- you might want verify since it's possible the dampener outer ring has slipped)

The damper mark is correct. The distributor was removed before to replace the gear and to add a Pertronix box, I will check it out. I ordered an Equus timing light with tach to mess with this. If I cannot get an adjustment out of the car after changing the other setting then I will remove the distributor and reclock it in the bore.

Coulmn Shift TorqueFlite

7 1/4" Axle 2.76 Gears

Go ahead and save that weird car, the sedan, the 6 cylinder, the C-Body. If you want a big block musclecar and that's all you care about, your missing the point.