Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:26 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I drove nearly 600 miles in two days in the Dart down to Blackburg to visit with Lou. More of that in the social section.

Some of you know I was concerned about the slight noise in the engine. It did not seem to be a problem, and got there and back without incident. I did not do any tuning other than turn autotune on when I left to drive down, and turned that off about half way there. I simply tracked the mileage at mostly 65 MPH with some fairly steep mountains climbs mixed in. The mileage on the way down was 21.5 MPG, which I considered not particuarly good based on my previous experience with well tuned, stock slant six cars. My old Duster would yield 26 on a good trip, and this car would always go 25 MPG with a best tank of 29 MPG, with a Super six 2bbl.

So I asked Lou what we could look at tuning wise to try and improve things. I had taken recently removed plugs down with me, and those looked as if the mixture was not too rich. They were a nice dusty white with no carbon to speak of. Lou suggested we look at the timing. We decided to go aggressive at this point, bumping the timing up to 48-50 in the cruise range,where it had been sitting at 38 or so before hand. In addition to this I upped the tire pressure to 32 PSI. It had been 25 PSI. I simply had not checked it before leaving. Bad Boy.

The next morning I headed for home and could tell right away things were better. The car felt lighter, and moved with more grace and ease down through the traffic. I had to make rest stops about every 100 miles, ( I am getting old) and refueled each time. The first calculated MPG was 23.3. AH, that is better. Each time I filled up I filled it until it ran down the side of the fender. I wanted to make sure it was really full each time.

At this point, I decided to get more aggressive, and extended the high advance numbers up higher into the higher KPA range. When I made my next 100 mile stop, this time the math produced 26.7 MPG. This is more like my '72 Duster did with an economizer carb. I am elated. If you average all homeward bound fillings together the math shows 25 MPG

After that fillup, which was 200 miles from Lou's and at Winchester VA, I kept the lap top open and tuned and drove. I had figured out a way to do this without actually looking at thel laptop. I bumped timing up all the way to 50 in the high vacuum areas of the map. This made the car drift down hill with less braking effect, so I knew I was getting more efficiency out of the engine.I also made a few changes to the fueling. I pulled off the road for this. I made it sightly richer at WOT throttle to see if this allowed me to run a little more advance at WOT. This is all on regular gas.

If you average all fillups for the entire trip it shows 23.3 MPG which is not bad at all. Here is the real clincher: ON the way down, I was driving 65 MPH. ON the way back I was driving 70-75 and sometimes 80. It just wanted to get up and run. I think the base mileage now is higher for highway than that the average of 23.5. I did not fill up when I got home. I was tired, of driving, and tired of gas stations. Maybe tomorrow I will fill it up and finish the math. Based on the needle on the gas gauge it is going to be excellent. The ability to change the timing on the fly is proving to be one of the greatest advantages of the EFI, and of MS II. Although, I would likely advise going with MSIII at this point. I hope others out there will work this into their slant engine management system.

Thanks Lou. Enjoy your sabbatical!

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:18 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Excellent results, Sam! Great times here, and glad to be of some help in tuning once again. You and your car are inspirational...

On my end, Christine took a long drive (25 mi) in the V2 Valiant this evening. She really enjoyed the car - comfort, feel, power, cool factor. She goosed it off a stoplight once and was excited about that. Gotta work on the side mirror and exhaust noise situations, but otherwise all is well.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:49 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
The mirrors on my car are replacement mirrors for a Ford Ranger truck found at Advance. They were cheap and came in left and right. They have improved the safety of highway driving considerably.

Thanks once more. Did you get the message the center caps are small bolt pattern? OH well.

PS: I saw that you did.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:52 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Thanks for the mirrors tip. Gotta do this sort of upgrade on all the cars, actually.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:12 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1965 Barracuda 'S' auto
Autotune is a Tunerstudio $50 subscription option? I was disappointed to find that it was an extra fee when I bought the MS2 as I though it was just another function of the firmware, as MS2 touted the ability to autotune. Good deal of info gleaned off that cruise. may have to hit you up for your 'map'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:31 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
great results--- how much do you think tire pressure changed results on top of the tuning? Lawrence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:34 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Congratulations and nice work! Tune-able fuel injection is the way to go for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:09 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1965 Barracuda 'S' auto
duplicate...weird?