Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:29 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I put new O rings on, and #5 leaks at the joint between the injector and the rail. They were bone dry before. Several questions: Any ideas on why one would leak with different injectors? Advice on install? I have two extras. Would changing one perhaps work? Is there prep work I did not do? I dipped the O rings in Gasoline as per instructions. I used Felpro O rings. ARe they now bad stuff? Any recommendations as to a better brand, or sealant of some kind? (That seems like a bad idea.) I tried wigging things to see if it would seat better, but no change.

I am going out to R&R and try again. Maybe an O ring got kinked or twisted. Thanks.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:50 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I took it apart., cleaned the rail and manifold with a Q tip, reassemble it and there are no leaks now. I think the O ring maybe just slipped from it's indent in the injector at the rail. It was leaking a pretty solid stream. It was not at all subtle. Sorry to alarm you.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:17 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Can be tricky to get these to seat without kinking/tearing the O-ring sometimes. I have used silicone grease to help seating. Glad it is OK now.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:26 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Lou, Are you in Australia yet? I cannot remember if you were taking off for Australia or to bring back your '68. Tuning with the 24's was interesting. It ended up with a SMALLER number for idle.Really. I guess the smaller percentage of opening and closing time distorts things a bunch from what the math would predict. I had to increase the warm up enrichments considerably.And I had to increase the startup VE cell to make it start quickly. Still a lot of tuning to do, but it seems to run nicely. The map is all over the place right now. I will do a bunch of auto tune in the next week and start to get things where they need to be.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:57 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I am not surprised a bunch of things had to be retuned. I just noticed, after our conversations, that my 68 Dart only uses 1.7 ms pulsewidth at idle with my 38.5lb/hr injectors - no wonder the idle is so rough. Hopefully my impending switch to MS3X will help this situation. My MSI fluctuates around 1.6-1.8 ms at idle, which is I'm sure where the messy idle happens. The opening time is set to 1.0 ms, so the difference between actually open for 0.6 and 0.8 ms is huge!

I was in Bonneville for 4 days, set record w/ Bob Dally Racing B'cuda, and I'm in WI with folks until Sunday, then drive Dart home to VA.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:32 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Just saw this post. Hence my question about where you are in the PM.

I think you are right about the larger injectors not idling as well. That is one reason they design engines with two injectors that work in tandem. Does anybody make an injector that opens and closes faster? One thing that may help with idle is to idealize the req-fuel number. A smaller req-fuel number will require larger VE numbers which provide more accurate modulation during fueling. They suggest VE numbers as high as 200 at WOT in the mega manual. Mine is nowhere near that, and am considering that change as well. There is supposed to be a screen in Megatune that converts the VE table to new values when you change the req-fuel. However, I am certain things will then need to be refined again.

My idle cell numbers are now down to 28 and it is still idling rich. That is OK for now since drivability is paramount at this point. I can refine that end of things with some time behind the wheel and more experience with the new behaviors. I am surprised at how flexible the slant is as to fueling. It will run with almost any AF ratio. Not ideally, but it does run. Enjoy your trip back.

Sam

Post subject: Leaky Fuel Injectors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:56 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
When installing fuel injectors in a fuel rail or manifold consider using Vaseline . I have herd that the manuals say dip in gasoline but our fuel has to much ethanol , alcohol, and garbage in it and not much lubricants. I have installed 1000's of injectors this way. No leaks, no twisted o-rings.
A little on the o-ring and you can take a q tip and put a little in the or-phis of the fuel rail and manifold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:55 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Thanks Doc.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:15 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1964 Valiant V200
I use K-Y. Seriously.

Post subject: