Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Gas Tanks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:06 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
The gas tank in my 65 Barracuda is rusty now and I've been having to periodically remove the rusty silt from my carburetor bowls. I see that I can get a Spectra tank (PN CR11A) from Rock Auto for US$165.99 with $13.36 freight to a friend's address in Buffalo, NY.

I don't have any immediate plans to switch to fuel injection but, since a-body tanks are so similar, are there any newer tanks that I could use instead of the PN CR11A that would be easier to adapt to EFI if I later decide to give it a try?

Any recommendations for filler neck seals?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:05 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
No reason you can't use the stock tank. I've been playing around with putting Miata aftermarket high flow internal fuel pump kits in other stock tanks, and I suspect they'd fit in an A-body tank through the sending unit hole as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:26 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I thought there might be some advantage to the newer tanks because they have additional nozzles that could potentially be repurposed for EFI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:13 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Newer tanks might have the vapor return line that could be adapted to be a fuel return line for a fuel injection system. I know the tank I just put on my brother's 74 Duster has such a fuel return line nipple at the top of the tank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:00 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I think the internal fuel pump is the way to go. You could adapt a stock unit as Matt has suggested. There is a rod shop in El Paso that installed a GM one in a new replacement tank such as you are getting. The tank I chose to use is from a late model A body car because of the vents in the top. But I used them to vent the vapors to the intake. I did not include a charcoal canister, and it does not seem to be a problem. I just took the vent line right to the intake tube between the TB and the air filter. This leaves the stock sending unit in place and unmodified.

Sam

Post subject: Lol...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:57 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
I think the internal fuel pump is the way to go.

It's a better choice, but I had the priviledge to change out the in tank pump on my Ramcharger which failed after I filled the tank (35 gallons)...the only other item is making sure that the pickup is near the bottom/middle of the tank so you actually use the capacity, but the springs on the car need to be in good shape I have dented at least 2 gas tanks due to road conditions in the past.

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:40 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1965 Barracuda 'S' auto
Keep originl tank and run a swirl pot or surge tank. look them up. They are on ebay or you can make one from an ebay $16 oil vapor recovery tank. Mechanical slant pump to the top of the tank, return line out the other top tank bung (there are 2) lower side tapped hole goes to external EFI pump input, the return line from the regulator goes into the top side tapped hole. There is a drain tap on the bottom that can be used for the EFI pump inlet also. This setup only requires about 2 feet of high pressure EFI hose, the rest is stock slant fuel tubing and some sort of return hose to the tank vent or bulkhead fitting drilled into the fuel sender plate. The return hose need not be EFI rated as there is no pressure in it. Make sure the return hose is as big as the supply hose, no 1/4 stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:11 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
pishta wrote:
Keep originl tank and run a swirl pot or surge tank. look them up. They are on ebay or you can make one from an ebay $16 oil vapor recovery tank. Mechanical slant pump to the top of the tank, return line out the other top tank bung (there are 2) lower side tapped hole goes to external EFI pump input, the return line from the regulator goes into the top side tapped hole. There is a drain tap on the bottom that can be used for the EFI pump inlet also. This setup only requires about 2 feet of high pressure EFI hose, the rest is stock slant fuel tubing and some sort of return hose to the tank vent or bulkhead fitting drilled into the fuel sender plate. The return hose need not be EFI rated as there is no pressure in it. Make sure the return hose is as big as the supply hose, no 1/4 stuff.

I had this set up for awhile, but it took up space under the hood I eventually needed for other stuff. Plus it was noisy. I tried two different electric pumps which both sounded like Godzilla was under the hood.

Sam

Post subject: Lol
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:22 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
sounded like Godzilla was under the hood.

Somehow I just pictured that with the turbo setup sounding like Gamera, and the pump sounding like Godzilla, it was a monster movie under the
hood and probably near schools there s some kid pointing at your car saying "It's the Monster!!!!"

:lol:

-D.Idiot

I think you had the only Dart that could level Tokyo on a daily drive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:06 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Mine is on the small side. 1L surge tank ( think Budweiser king can) and bosch benz pump (red bull can) mounted on frame under it. The pump makes a noise like a hair trimmer bzzzzz and it will be mounted on the frame in 2 rubber rings. Hopefully it wont be that bad but i had a holley blue on the frame before it and that sounded horrible inside.

Post subject: Re: Lol
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:01 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
DusterIdiot wrote:
Quote:
sounded like Godzilla was under the hood.

Somehow I just pictured that with the turbo setup sounding like Gamera, and the pump sounding like Godzilla, it was a monster movie under the
hood and probably near schools there s some kid pointing at your car saying "It's the Monster!!!!"

:lol:

-D.Idiot

I think you had the only Dart that could level Tokyo on a daily drive...

But if they looked closely they could tell it was just a model on a train layout.

In fact there were no mufflers then. You had to have the radio turned way up.
Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:18 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I used a surge tank on my Dart (made out of a large industrial fuel filter), but I would not go that route again. You've got two pumps instead of one, and a lot more complex plumbing. My latest project (a Brand X truck with a late model engine) is using an in tank fuel pump.

'66 Dart - turbocharged 225

My blog - Mad Scientist Matt's Lair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:13 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Matt, i was following your build and had the makings of the "bronco" fuel filter surge tank, but saw this tank on ebay and decided it would work better for me. I love the in tank option, but it wasnt an option for me. Heck, i may still run the bosch off the back frame mercedes style and plumb up the standard return system. Time will tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:54 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Back when I had my setup, I ran a Bosch hi-pressure pump on the frame rail - it pulled from the stock type pickup tube- done in 3/8" (don't corner hard below 1/4 tank). The only way I found to make the pump quiet was to mount it in rubber lined clamps to a plate- the plate attached to the frame via thick rubber bushings( the kind that have a small stud sticking out of either end). Of course the pump had hi press EFI hose for fuel connections as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:06 pm 
EFI Slant 6

I imagine that setup. The benz setup is almost suspended in a "scrotum". Its all compact in a little plastic enclosure and hangs from rubber bushings behind the tank, fuel pump nut sack!