Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index
Home Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Click here to make a donation to the Slant Six Forum!

Ziptie Drags
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Event Calendar
Select message display options:             View previous topic :: View next topic  
69val6
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Post subject: Ziptie Drags (Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:15 pm) Reply with quote

Well it's been a while since I've posted anything oy oln here. Hope all the folks I know on this site are doing well.

I haven't been doing much of any drag racing for a few years. It seems like the kids take up all my time. My oldest will be graduating high school after this coming year(I didn't have any Kids when I went to my first Slant race). I still have the Valiant and it still runs and drives good. The body is showing some wear and tear but it wouldn't take too much to get it back in shape. If there was a slant race close I would take it there. Mo-Kan is the closest, but the date never works well for me.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone on the site has heard of or is going to the Roadkill Ziptie drags at Gateway Motorsports Park in St. Louis? I watch their youtube channel and think they've got a pretty cool thing going. They always have lots of Mopar cars on their show unlike most other shows. The date for this event is September 14-15. They always have alot of unique things on their show and at their last event they had some pretty cool cars there. Slant cars seem to fit the bill because they're unique so I'm taking mine. It's all just for fun and it's not too expensive to go for 2 days($40).

Also, If anyone would be interested in another Midwest Slant Race, there's an 1/8 mile track near Benton Illinois called I57 dragstrip. The folks that run it are pretty nice and I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to get a race date for next year. Let me know if there's some interest and I'll check with them.

Thanks,

Joel Harris

Team Green
Board Sponsor

Post subject: (Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:08 pm) Reply with quote

Glad to see you are still around and we would be interested in another midwest slant race. I bet you could get a pretty good car count.

Mark

Dart270
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Post subject: (Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:41 am) Reply with quote

Nice to hear from you, Joel. We may have met at Clay City the first year I raced with the Slants? Welcome back. Those event are a bit far from me, but I am a Midwesterner (Madison, WI), so I am always looking to attend a race out there someday (again)...

Mark is probably right that you could get a decent turnout. Start planning ahead and we can discuss this at the Eastern Banquet. I see no reason not to do another Midwest race if you can host/plan it.

All the best,

Lou Madsen

Exner Geek
Turbo Slant 6

Post subject: (Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:58 pm) Reply with quote

Hi Joel, it's been a long time. When I first started building my street-strip car you were my idol, I am still running the Air-Tex fuel pump that you recommended. I don't travel as much as I used to but the event in St. Louis looks interesting. The Road Kill guys are the same ones that put together the original Drag Week and that was really fun. As I remember you were a pretty good driver, I think I remember you being in several final rounds. Ron Hamby still remembers how you helped him win one of his many National Championships when you came up with a new front pump and helped him put it in.

Greg Ondayko
Supercharged

Post subject: (Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:55 pm) Reply with quote

Zip tie would bee cool. I just missed one at summit motorsports park... only 3 hours from me.

Otherwise i am sticking to slant racing and maybe some local racing as well.

Greg

Ron Hamby
SSRN National Champion

Post subject: (Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:37 pm) Reply with quote

Good to hear from you Joel. I still think about your hard work into the wee hours getting my tranny back together with your front pump. I will forever be indebted to you. Can you believe the old used pump is still hanging in there this many years later. I look forward to seeing you again.

Ron

69val6
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Post subject: (Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:27 pm) Reply with quote

Good to hear from you and all the others. Ron, I'm glad the pump is still holding up.

It would be really neat to see several slants at the ziptie drags. it would be even better to see some really fast ones there. I think it would be a good chance for some national exposure. Roadkill is part of the Motortrend group of which HotRod magazine is a part. They built a performance slant a couple years ago and just did a bunch of intake and exhaust manifold testing back in May. I think some fast slants could catch their eye.

Back to the slant race subject, I think I57 dragstrip would be able to add us to their program during the Street Machine Nationals next year. I just went there 2 weeks ago when they had their Saturday night race. They skipped their regular program weekend and had open Superpro, Pro, and footbrake ET races. They also had a heads up class which was the most exciting one. They also had test and tune plus a couple of exhibition dragsters. I don't know how that would tie in with other slant races around the country. It's usually the the 3rd weekend in June.

If anyone has any thoughts/suggestions, just let me know.

I have a couple other questions on rods and pistons that I'll post in the engine section.

Thanks,

Joel

69val6
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Post subject: Ziptie Drags (Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:04 pm) Reply with quote

Hi, I went to the ziptie drags at Gateway Motorsports park Saturday. If any of you have a chance, check out the Roadkill.com website. The guys that put it on are pretty funny, at least I think so. They' lean pretty heavy to the Mopar side which I like too. I don't know if there were any other slanters that are on this forum there or not. There were alot of inline 6 cars there. Most were Hooptie beaters but everyone seemed to be having a good time. It's nice to go to a race where you don't have to worry about what your car looks like. I know there's quite a few slanters who ebrace this thery.

Anyway, there was only 1 other slant 6 car there that I saw. It was a really nice looking 67-69 Dart GT convertible. It was running in the low 20's in the 1/4 mile so I would say it was all stock. I never could find it in the pits so if you were there, sorry I didn't get to meet you.

My car decided to have a multitude of issues so I didn't have a very productive day. It wouldn't of mattered anyway since the only real race was a heads up race for cars that were worth less than $3,000, at least if you can make the audience and the Roadkill crew think it's worth less than that. My car is worth a little more than that and with all the issues I was having, I didn't think it was worth a try.

I did get 6 test and tune passes. Since i haven't raced much at all in the last several years I was cutting consistant -.120 red lights, until the 6th run when I got it back to an .030 which I though was pretty good considering....

I was having no issues launching the car, the 60' time was about normal @ 2.25 sec. After that it was falling on it's face. I normally run 86-89 mph on the top end but I only got 79mph on my first pass and it got slower every pass after that. It just wouldn't pull past 3500 rpm. It wasn't idling right either. After my 6th run and I was down to 64mph on the top end I decided it was time to load up. My brakes decided to stick on my 2nd pass and I barely made it down the track. I tapped the brake pedal at about the 1/8 mile and they released. They didn't act up the rest of the day so I don't know what was going on with them.

I took the carb apart this evening and found that the carb base on the Holley 2245 carb I run had worked loose. I also found some dirt in the carb. I sprayed it with carb cleaner and blew all the passages out. I put it back on and it's running good again. Hopefully it lasts

I'll have to try another race before the season is over to see how it runs.

Dart270
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Post subject: (Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:47 am) Reply with quote

Thanks for your experience! Sounds like fun. We should look up those events. I bet Greg's "Ruster" car would be a big hit. I have about 50 zip ties under my 68 Dart hood...

Lou

DadTruck
Turbo EFI

Post subject: (Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:01 am) Reply with quote

Quote:
1/8 mile track near Benton Illinois called I57 dragstrip

Mapquest says,,,3 1/2 hours from Indy to Benton IL,,

that would work for me,, work with Lou and see if you can get a Slant race set there,,,

with the race being in Illinoisy,, Dennis would not need to post bond for leaving the state, and maybe he could participate Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Rob Simmons
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Post subject: (Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:57 am) Reply with quote

About 3 hours for me as well. Very Happy

I would want to do that race. Late June has typically been the Bristol race, but if it isn't the same weekend we could make that work.

A race in that area might bring some folks out of the woodwork that we haven't seen at races lately.

Dennis would HAVE to be there!

Maybe we could convince Howard Davis to bring the aluminum headed Hillside Six...

Would it be possible to get Cookie there with a running Slant 6 car...? Shocked

Ziptie Drags would be right up Cookie's alley... Twisted Evil

Drag Racing
Commentator/
Points Keeper
Rob Simmons
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Post subject: (Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:29 am) Reply with quote

Joel, you are the right person to resurrect the St. Louis race! It looks like you were there every year from 1999 to 2007.

You raced at Clay City in 2000, so I'll make you a deal...

You get the St Louis race fired up again and I'll come! Very Happy

Drag Racing
Commentator/
Points Keeper
Rob Simmons
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Post subject: (Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:38 am) Reply with quote

This year they ran the Ziptie Drags in

June 30-July 1 = Norwalk, OH
July 14-15 = Millington, TN (Memphis)
September 15-16 = Madison, IL
January 19-20 2018 = Tucson, AZ... I'm from Tucson and yes, you can drag race in January! Wink

Drag Racing
Commentator/
Points Keeper
Greg Ondayko
Supercharged

Post subject: (Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:03 pm) Reply with quote

Ziptie drags seem totally fun.

I tune in to roadkill everynow and again on youtube.

The Ruster car has a bit of that roadkill vibe going on with it I think......

Greg

Rob Simmons
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Post subject: (Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:59 pm) Reply with quote

Greg Ondayko wrote:
Ziptie drags seem totally fun.
The Ruster car has a bit of that roadkill vibe going on with it I think......

Greg

Absolutely!! Very Happy Very Happy

Drag Racing
Commentator/
Points Keeper
Select message display options:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Event Calendar All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: