Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index
Home Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Click here to make a donation to the Slant Six Forum!

Clay City 2018 - Racer's Reunion!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Event Calendar
Select message display options:             View previous topic :: View next topic  

Clay City 2018 Car Count?
10-15
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
15-20
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
20+
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
<10
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Rob Simmons
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Post subject: A Magic Moment: Clay City 1998 (Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:18 pm) Reply with quote

A Magic Moment is what Seymour called the 1998 Clay City race almost 20 years ago. The 2018 race will be the 20th anniversary of that momentous occasion.

Here are some good quotes from Seymour in SSRN #8 August 1998.

"Every time I look at the never to be forgotten group picture, I remember what a magic moment this really was. If there is never another major Slant 6 race we should all be proud of what we accomplished."

Special thanks to:

Bob Rogers who promoted the Mopar Muscle Southern Classic. (Bobby was in the tower at Clay City this year as well. I'll be reaching out to him again for 2018, rest assured. Wink)

Doug Dutra who worked with Bobby to set things up, made a million phone calls and emails and made cool banners to promote the race.

Bob Stepp who provided prize money for many years. He flat towed Doug's Barracuda all the way from Sunnyvale, CA to Clay City!

Jack Clifford of Clifford Performance (6=8 )
Tailfins.com
Slant 6 Club of America

Wes Alumbaugh and Mark Goodman for decorating their trailer with those awesome Slant 6 murals that really added a touch of class to the Slant 6 pit area.

The Clay City Track and Crew who ran a smooth, efficient race and were always pleasant to deal with. (They still are 20 years later. Very Happy )

All you racers who made it a point to be a part of this race, making it the biggest Slant 6 event ever!

I also want to personally thank all of you who put in your best motor, advanced the timing, leaned out mixture, or turned on the nitrous in an effort to show the fans how fast a Slant 6 can really go.

There are twenty Slant 6 competitors here. Practically every Slant 6 race car currently running made the trip.

Doug Dutra's 67 Barracuda flat towed all the way from California
Charles Myers and crew with his beautiful rear engined dragster
Mike Jeffrey and Mark Goodman in their 11 second A bodies

Mark and partner Wes Alumbaugh brought 2 cars. Wes decided he had to have his own Slant 6 race car, so he bought back Mark's old 62 Valiant that was for sale in SSRN #7... (Hmmm, I do believe I saw that same car back in Mark's shop when Chase and I stopped by in August... And it has a nifty gadget or two under the hood... Shocked )

James Morgan is here with his hard leaving 60 Valiant 2 door. (I believe this car raced at Clay City this year with Rookie Josh Woodie at the helm.)

Meril Bruner had three cars there. Shocked

Barry Harrison and Richard Anderson were there with the "6 Pak" 66 Valiant with a Hyper Pak. (I heard that Barry attended the Clay City race last year..)

Jeff Droll from Fostoria, OH in another 66 Valiant. Is anyone in contact with Jeff these days?

Howard Davis showed up with his very trick Hillside Six Dart Sport from Bedford, IN. (I keep trying to convince Howard to come to Clay City. I have his phone number if anyone else wants to help me... Twisted Evil )

Dennis Schumers is here with his 76 Duster to be driven by his wife, Annette. (She was runner up to Rodney Hargis! I have that 76 Duster now... Maybe this will make Dennis want it back... Should we invite Annette to drive it again...? Shocked )

Unfortunately, one of the broken cars was Charles Myers' dragster. After turning a 10.20, the timing chain gear let go while doing a burnout. (I've invited Charles and family to come next year. They came to Clay City just to visit with folks in 2011(?) I still remember Charles standing there shivering in his shorts and sandals. It was COLD that year at Clay City!)

Equally Tragic, Mark Goodman's Lancer broke a rod and wiped out the block in the process. On that run he set top doorslammer speed of 112 MPH, and would have been dueling with Mike Jeffrey for low doorslammer ET on Saturday. (Mark still has that Lancer with Rusty Heisten at the wheel. Rusty re-set four records at Clay City this year and I'm sure will be back in 2018 looking for more.)

Gary Bruner's 13.0 El Desperado '64 Valiant also broke before eliminations.

The remaining race field looked like this:

11 seconds - 2 cars
12 seconds - 4 cars
13 seconds - 4 cars
14 seconds - 3 cars
Over 14 seconds - 3 cars

Mike Jeffrey's "Buzzin Half Dozen" 68 Valiant was low ET of the weekend with an 11.67. (Dennis Schumers just bought that car from Mike and hopes to be at Clay City next year with Mike as Crew Chief.)

At the end of the day it was Rodney Hargis who won the race with a 13.58 on his 13.57 dial (and the Championship that year - 1 of 4 for him) against Annette Schumers who redlighted on her 19.85 dial.

From Seymour:

For those of you who couldn't be there, let me just reminisce about some of the images that stick in my memory.

The sound of unmuffled Slant 6 engines running side by side.

Meril Bruner nipping stepson Lukus in a very close race, showing the old pro still has a couple of good moves left. (Several years later Meril won the Championship on the year that he turned 78! And yes, he was at Clay City again this year. Wink )

Mike Jeffrey looking for Will Burns' Barracuda in their second time trial, and finding him right along side. Will turned on his new nitrous system for this run and showed us an awesome 11.80 in the process of frying his engine. (Will is still more than willing to push that envelope in the very same Barracuda and will hopefully treat us to the first 8 second pass this year! Shocked )

Annette Schumers screaming at the guy handing out timing slips, "I am in the finals!!"

Meril Bruner just being Meril

Charles Myers and crew polishing up their wounded motor to show it off to the fans and answer their many questions.

Envying the way Howard Davis and his wife worked so well together.

The hole in Mark Goodman's block and pan.

The lift on Mike Jeffrey's valves.

Rodney Hargis and Junior Foley hustling to get back to the staging lanes as they kept winning rounds in both the Slant 6 race and the Saturday night's overlapping 1/8 mile bracket race.

Pete McNicholl's vest with patches commemorating every Chrysler built car and Chrysler oriented event there ever was. (I will invite Pete to Clay City next year as well. The last time I invited him he wrote me a nice letter apologizing that he had other commitments, but that he would love to come to a race some time. Next year will be that time! Very Happy )

Okay folks, I've re-typed some of the highlights from that momentous Clay City race in 1998. I hope it has reminded you what a great group of racers we have and has inspired you to spread the word and make plans to come to Clay City for the 20 year reunion!!

Drag Racing
Commentator/
Points Keeper

Last edited by Rob Simmons on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
slantzilla
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Post subject: (Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:26 pm) Reply with quote

I can say with relative certainty that Annette would not be interested. Shocked

Dart270

Post subject: (Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:31 am) Reply with quote

Thanks for posting, Rob.

I wish I had known about that race, as I would have driven my recently completed 64 Dart Slant 6 racer there (from LA) instead of to the Mopar Nats in Columbus in August 1998. I was running high 14s at that time in a long haul street car. I was the only Slant 6 racer at the Nats in 1998, as far as I could tell. I did meet my brother and several other friends at the Nats and had a great time, but saw no Slant Sixers.

Hindsight...

Lou

Rob Simmons
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Post subject: (Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:35 am) Reply with quote

Thatís okay Lou. You can make it up by bringing 2 cars to Clay City next year. Wink

Understood Dennis, but I had to ask... Laughing

Iím hoping others are going to read this and be inspired to come next year.

Drag Racing
Commentator/
Points Keeper
slantzilla

Post subject: (Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:06 pm) Reply with quote

Lou, your '64 is the car that inspired me to make my car faster, which led to the great horsepower race between Putzie and me. Laughing

If I had never met you and Mike, I'd probably still have a lot more money. Laughing Laughing Laughing

wvenable
Poser

Post subject: (Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:12 pm) Reply with quote

This is good stuff! Thanks Mater!

Dart270

Post subject: (Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:33 am) Reply with quote

Gee, thanks Dennis! That means a lot coming from you. The 64 is such a fun car to drive... I remember sitting in my basement lab in the late 90s chatting with Slant 6ers on Slantsix.com and Tailfins, dreaming about trips. Somehow, I missed the planning for the whole CC race in 1998.

Lou

slantzilla

Post subject: (Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:22 am) Reply with quote

I discovered Slant racing after seeing the finals from the '96 Bristol race on 'Inside Drag Racing', the old show the IHRA had on ESPN. Shortly after that Doug's 'Slant Sickness' article came out. I called Doug on the phone and he sent me a letter dealing with the SSRN, which led me to Seymour. His letter also contained a business card for a guy selling Barracuda parts who turned out to be my next door neighbor's Dad. Shocked

IIRC, the CC race came about because Bristol shut down for a couple years for their rebuild.

Rob Simmons
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Post subject: (Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:27 am) Reply with quote

This is some cool stuff indeed! I enjoy the history of how we all got here. Plenty of bench racing material for the Reunion! Very Happy

Drag Racing
Commentator/
Points Keeper
Rob Simmons
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Post subject: Accountability Partners! (Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:52 am) Reply with quote

Many of us will have to do some work in order to have a running Slant 6 car for this event.

I propose we post here our progress to help ourselves stay motivated and on track. It also keeps us accountable and gives others an opportunity to encourage us or gently poke us in the eye once in awhile.

Wayne (Cookie) and I enjoy badgering each other here for entertainment and an occasional chuckle from other Forum members, but we're good friends and will be helping each other make sure we are both there with cars to race.

I'm going to post here occasionally with my progress on the "Countdown to Clay City" and I encourage others to join me!

We've got roughly 345 days left! Shocked

My short range goal for making progress on the Challenger:
Angie and I are going to a Fish Fry at Gary and Barbara Bruner's tomorrow. I'll be taking Norm Foster's Dart back to him (Thanks again for letting me race it Norm!!). That opens up a spot in the garage for the Challenger, so Sunday I plan to start digging it out of its hibernation. I've got a lot to move, so I'm not sure it will make it home Sunday, but I will make some good progress.

Now for my "gentle eye poking"... Twisted Evil

Hey Cookie!! What are you gonna do first ta git The Little Red Piggy ready fer Clay City?

Hey 'Zilla!! Which "Blue Car" are you gonna bring to Clay City? The Daytona or the "Buzzin' Half Dozen" Valiant? Or BOTH!? Very Happy

Hey Charlie!! Give us an update on your three car team effort!

Now somebody else take the wheel! I gotta git back to my guv'ment job... Very Happy

Drag Racing
Commentator/
Points Keeper
Rick Covalt
Board Sponsor

Post subject: (Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:08 am) Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey Cookie!! What are you gonna do first ta git The Little Red Piggy ready fer Clay City

I heard that the concrete blocks it was sitting on in the front yard turned to powder and the car is now 6" deep in the mud. Enquiring minds want to know?? Laughing Laughing

Rob Simmons
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Post subject: (Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:45 pm) Reply with quote

Now now Rick... This is an encouragement thread more than a poke in the eye thread... Didn't it take you about 30 years on your Valiant...?

I'm gonna be heppin' Cookie out here real soon. We may even post some progress pics fer ya! Ain't that right Cookie? Wink

Drag Racing
Commentator/
Points Keeper
Rob Simmons
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Post subject: Car Count Goal (Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:50 pm) Reply with quote

I'm gonna be brave and set the Clay City Car Count at an even 30!! Shocked

That would beat the current record set in 2008 at Redding, CA with 28 cars and make the Clay City 20 Year Reunion "The biggest Slant 6 event ever!" Very Happy

Drag Racing
Commentator/
Points Keeper
Rick Covalt
Board Sponsor

Post subject: (Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:02 pm) Reply with quote

Quote:
Didn't it take you about 30 years on your Valiant.

Well, Uhhhh...... yeah I guess so, if you put it terms like that, Cookie is 27 years ahead of me!! Laughing Laughing

wvenable
Poser

Post subject: Which direction w/Piggie? (Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:07 pm) Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty1np2gv0XM

Select message display options:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Event Calendar All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: