Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:21 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:23 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Ok there is the Duster, the gold Duster and the feather duster, now what are the fifferences?
I know the feather has aluminium bracings on the hood and trunk
and I believe the gold Duster has the vinyl roof but thats about all I know about it.
can someone explain or point me into the right direction please??
Thanks guys.

Post subject: Dusters...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:07 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
1970-1975 Gold Duster Option:
Tag has the A64 option (I think).
Should have a 'snakeskin' vinyl roof (All of them I've seen are 'canopy' or half roof type), cigar lighter, could be a 225 or 318 optioned car, wheel covers, usually came with the 'chrome/bright' package (drip rails, wheel lip mouldings), 'Gold Duster' sticker on each front fender, Tape stripe on the body, etc...

1976 Feather Duster:
A31 Fender Tag option code.
aluminum bracing/webbing under the hood and trunk lid (some units didn't get an aluminum hood/or trunk lid as factory supplies got spotty), the reinforcement behind the front and rear bumpers are cast aluminum, the intake manifold is a cast aluminum 1 barrel unit, aluminum bellhousing and tranny case if optioned with the A-833 OD manual tranny, with mandatory 2.94:1 7 1/4" rear end (2.76:1 if optioned with the A904 auto), Disk Brakes, 'Feather Duster' sticker on the front fenders, Mandatory 225 /6, with economy curved distributor (not shared with any other 225 equipped that year), and special EGR (only optioned for that car). I've seen them equipped with: sunroof(rare), A/C, canopy vinyl top only, bucket seats, Spacemaker fold down rear seat, smog pump, and I've heard some of the 'earliest' ones had been equipped with 9" drums and an A-230 3 spd manual (like the one's that rolled out in August or early Sept.)
1976 Silver Duster:(replaced Gold Duster)
Option Code A62
Special Tape stripe, Red/Maroon Velour interior(has some gray and white stripes), Silver exterior pain,the rest of the mandtory options are not known they aren't common outside of pictures in catalogs.

Duster Twister:1972-1975(?)
This is Plymouth's attempt to 'provide' a sheep in wolf's clothing. It has all the options one of the 'muscle' cars would have: Rallye Wheels, good brakes, tape stripes, rallye dash, etc...but can only be optioned with a /6 or a 318-2v (a Duster that looks cool, but insurance companies won't crucify you for owning it...)

There was also the Duster '340' (1970-1973)and Duster '360'(1974-1975, in 1976 you could option the duster with a 360, but it wasn't badged as a 'Duster 360'....)...

There are some sites with more or less info, just do a search for 'Plymouth Duster' and there are several pages dedicated to the Duster, and her sister cars, the Dodge Demon(1971-1972), and Dodge Dart Sport(1973-1976)....

That should tickle you curiousity, :wink:

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:19 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
It tickled mine, and I don't even own a duster...Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:23 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Duster twister came in 1971 as well. I know someone that has one. The vinyl top came all the way down the front pillars, and in the back it came down to near the bottom of the window. Had a 225 /6 with A904 on the column, the 340 sharktooth grill, pin stripes, hood stripe treatment, twister lettering on drivers quarter panel, twister logo on right side of tail panel. The original owner said that it had a hood scoop (maybe dual scoops) but they got stolen. Standard gauge cluster, split bench with armrest. Not the high back bench, its just like a standard bench but with an armrest in the middle.

Post subject: Thanks Pierre...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:29 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The twister is kind of a 'weird' option....the one's I've seen got the rallye cluster, I've heard some of them (mostly the late ones) got the standard cluster. The '71 should have the cool stripe model, stobes up the ridge in the hood, and dual scoops. Forgot about the '71, being the first year for it...I'm slipping!

I saw a red and black original numbers matching 225 /6 with 4 speed go a few years back on Ebay, original owners...auction ended at $15k....

WOW!

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:21 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
DI, do you know the fender tag codes for the twister option, and is there a seperate code for the hood scoups? I'd like to get to the bottom of the scoups not being there. The hood isn't drilled or anything so I'm suspicious of the scoupes being there originally.

Post subject: Zoinks.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:08 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Not entirely sure, I don't have a code book for the late 60's-early 70's (it's on the xmas list). I wouldn't doubt you could get them with a 'scoop delete' option or something like that, anything's possible. I think there's a guy on moparts that is a 'twister' fanatic, talked to him once, can't remember his name off the bat, knows twisters, but wasn't too keen on late duster's and he got 'annoying'....

Best of luck on your search! (I wanna know too!!!)

:wink:

-D.Idiot

Post subject: Re: Dusters...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:14 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: Many & varied, including stock & hopped up /6's
DusterIdiot wrote:
Duster Twister:1972-1975(?)
This is Plymouth's attempt to 'provide' a sheep in wolf's clothing. It has all the options one of the 'muscle' cars would have: Rallye Wheels, good brakes, tape stripes, rallye dash, etc...but can only be optioned with a /6 or a 318-2v (a Duster that looks cool, but insurance companies won't crucify you for owning it...)
-D.Idiot

Well, they started offering the Twister mid year '71. I'm not sure when they stopped, either, but '75 sounds right. These are great cars to build. I had a '71 that was originally a 318/3-speed (no motor/trans when I got it), and I made it a 360/4-speed. It looked even cooler than a 340 duster with the ramcharger scoops, had all the stuff you mentioned plus HD suspension/sway bar and an 8.75" rear. One thing it didn't have was a rally dash, I don't think that was part of the Twister package. Interestingly, mine (with the original paint intact) had a '72 style creased decklid, I guess this was a late '71 deal. All of the other '71's that I have noticed have smooth decklids.

"DW"

Oh, yeah, not all Twisters had the scoops. They were an optional part of the package, and you couldn't get them at all after '72. I've noticed every '71-'72 Valiant/Duster hood I've ever looked at has the bracing stamped out for the scoops. Neat, huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:08 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Lets see what http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... =7&fpart=1 nets us.