Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:51 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: Many & varied, including stock & hopped up /6's
Anyone plan to make it here?

http://www.mopartsracing.com/shows/show.html

...and what days? I intend to break out the Duster from its long nap.

D/W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:02 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
If I get a chance to do some maint work on the Cuda, I might make it up there.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:37 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
My goal is to have the GodsRods Duster there with it's new engine/trans/rear combo. I also want to bring my 318 Dart that I finally got running after 7 1/2 years of off and on piddling.

The GodsRods crew want to come up Friday right after their last day of school and stay unti they kick us out Sunday evening. We'll have to see how it goes. I leave for Germany just a couple days later, so I'm not sure. I will be there at least on Saturday for awhile if nothing else.

I hope you guys can make it. How about you Cecil? Anyone else?

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:01 pm 
Rob, I hope to make it to Bristol that weekend but Reynolds is in the running.
The 350 mile trip to Reynolds is my back up second pick if I can't make the 700 mile tow to Bristol. I have a friend (a waxer, not a racer) that recently bought a new Ram 2500, been trying to talk him in to towing me to Bristol, but he already has made plans and reservations for the Reynolds show, so if I can't get my D100 up and going in time, he can tow me there.

Cecil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:17 am 
Board Sponsor

Charrlie_S wrote:
If I get a chance to do some maint work on the Cuda, I might make it up there.

I thought I heard you mention last year that there would be some slant 6 racing at Reynolds this year... I guess the plans got changed, it looks like everyone is going to be in Tennessee that weekend instead. Well that sucks... I don't feel like driving all the way to Tenn, and if there's no other /6 participation at Reynolds, I'll probably just skip that, too. Running with the camaros and the jap junk with the Duster has gotten old, I was hoping I could race some other cars comparable to mine, you know, apples to apples... I'll probably still go, just not race, so I'll hope to see you there.

How about some /6 races in GA, like Commerce or Reynolds? That would be nice.

D/W

If it ain't broke, fix it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:50 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Hey Dennis,
This is a good All Mopar Show. No "Camaros or Jap Junk" allowed. 8) I'm going to try really hard to have the Duster there. The Elders will probably be there, but may not race.
This is a great opportunity to hang out and race with other Mopar lovers and hopefully stir up some interest in Slant 6 Racing! You can bet that for every V8 Mopar out there racing or showing there is a Slant 6 being used as a driver or just sitting or whatever.
The more we can show people how easy and fun it can be to race their Slant 6 car the better the future of this program will be. Especially with us wanting to grow a divisional series.
I wonder how many of the racers using this board overlooked their Slant 6 car in favor of a "more powerful" V8 before realizing the virtues and commeraderie of Slant 6 racing.
A friend of mine in Virginia has a beautiful Notchback Barracuda that sported a 440. That got too costly with parts breakage, etc., so he switched back to a Slant 6. :shock:

We are the ambassadors for Slant 6 Racing News in each of our own little necks of the woods.

They had a Slant 6 Race at Commerce during I think the Hayes show a few years back, but it wasn't a pleasant experience I was told. The track management at the time was somewhat lacking apparently. :(

Reynold's was very receptive last year when Dale Rose approached them about adding a Slant 6 race to the show this year, but Bristol obviously got the nod over Reynold's when the conflict in dates came up.

Paradise (Calhoun) has 1-5 Slant 6 racers battling it out just about every Sunday.

I was planning on making Reynold's our home track for the GodsRods project. It is a nice facility with great folks and is about an hour closer than either Commerce or Paradise.

Sorry to ramble... Dust off the Duster, fix the Cuda, but by all means come to Reynold's and race a Slant 6! :D

Later,
Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:49 am 
Board Sponsor

I go just about every year. I've run at this event for the last couple years, the day I went last year (Saturday, I think it was), I was the only slant 6 running. If two or three other slant 6 guys commit to this thing, I'll bring the Duster. I'd like to be able run with other /6's in the 15sec range just to make things fun.

D/W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:05 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

That's funny. I was there last year on Saturday too. Dale Rose, Charrlie Schmid and Cecil were all there as well as another Duster driven by a young guy.

I'm planning on being there Friday night and Saturday with the Duster and Dart. Hope you can make it.

Later,

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:51 pm 
Board Sponsor

It musta been Sunday then, I don't recall seeing any other slant 6 equipment. Mine is the green Duster with black primer accents...

D/W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:20 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '68 V100, '68 V200, '79 Aspen, '84 D100
Dennis, I saw you there Sunday. I didn't race, did that Saturday, only stuck around so Charlie and I could hit the swap meet. I told Charlie I saw another slant6 car there that wasn't the day before.

Cecil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:54 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
DW.
Since Rob is going, and if you go, I will make a serious effort to make it. I ordered a new "green" bearing, for a rear axel, to replace an axel I bent last year. Need to do some ignition work, and order a nitrous tank. I will know for sure, if I will make it by next Tuesday. Will be there for Fri, Sat, and Sun, if I make it.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:44 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

That would be great Charlie! I hope you can make it. It would be good to see you before I ship out to Germany.

We are going to fire up the Duster tonight. Wish us luck! If all goes well we will take it to Reynold's this Saturday and then up to Paradise on Sunday. Too bad all of the Paradise racers will be gone to Columbus :cry: I was hoping to see them before I leave. Hopefully the kids will be racing this thing after I leave and they'll hook up with some other Slant 6ers.

I'll talk to the guys at Reynold's and see if I can drum something up for some sort of a Slant 6 race at the Southern Nationals. I'll see what I can come up with as far as a purse goes. I've been saving some pennies here and there in coffee cans. There may be as much as $100 in there. I'll offer whatever is there for a winner take all purse or something. I'll count it up tonight and post a message tomorrow.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:25 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Well, the Duster lives again. It sure does sound healthy. Amazing what a rebuild and open headers can do for the sound of an engine :shock: :D Our neighbors are going to be glad to see us leave after firing this thing up last night!

I didn't count up the change in the coffee cans, but I'll commit to a $100 purse for a Slant 6 race on Saturday the 29th.

If we can't get it announced as part of the program since it's so late we'll just wing it. I don't expect more than 5 or 6 Slant 6 cars to race. We can either go with the best E.T., closest to dial in or whatever the group wants to do.

How about $75 to the winner (best/fastest) and $25 to the runner-up?

I hope to see you all at Reynold's on the 29th.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:42 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
How about seeing if we can do a slant six "gamblers" race.
Do you think you can get your friends, with the grassroots 64 valiant, to bring it? Can't think of thier name right now.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:31 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

That's David Elder. I'll make some phone calls this next week and I will also talk to the folks at the track when I take the Duster down there this Saturday. I'll post more as I make progress.

Rob