Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:18 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
No hurry on this, Dan.

The motor is in the shop getting the treatment, and I can't see getting it back for another month or two.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks!

'60 Dodge Dart Pioneer

Vivian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:35 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Hey Dan,

Have you had any luck on a paint code for this color, or locating any custom mixed engine enamel?

No hurry, just curious if you've found anything.

I've been looking at some other readily available colors such as Buick Metallic Blue and Pontiac Metallic Blue in case I strike out, but nothing really comes close. The Buick is too blue, and the Pontiac is too gray. Although a couple of blogs say that the Buick Metallic Blue will fade out to a blue/green color after a few hot/cool cycles. I might have to buy a can and coat a scrap piece of metal, then play around with torch.

Thanks again for your time and efforts.

'60 Dodge Dart Pioneer

Vivian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:42 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Haven't nailed it down yet, but I still have a couple of good leads to chase down. You're right, none of the other readily available colors is even close to right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:11 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
FWIW I used single stage 2Pack paint on my block, valve cover, and inlet manifold. It seems impervious to fuel/oil and is scratch resistant, along with showing no heat side effects. The motor was painted about a year ago and still looks shiny. She get's driven daily and I've put about 6000miles on since painting the engine.

I had my local paint colour matched to the alternator bracket. The bracket is in quite a protected position and I found the paint to be in remarkably good condition, despite it's age.

Lot's of pics of my motor in this thread

Last edited by VE Safari on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:03 pm 

Car Model:
H'mmm...that link goes to an online magazine having nothing apparent to do with cars. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:15 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
H'mmm...that link goes to an online magazine having nothing apparent to do with cars. :?:

:oops: Sorry - my mistake. Link fixed. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:21 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I also have run auto paint on my engines.....and it hold up great!! All we used was what was needed....my best friend is a autobody wiz......so I but the supplys, and he shoots it.
Was the aluminum intake a 1960 only setup? I am looking for one.....for some adapter experiments, and dont want to pay alot.
Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:56 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I bought a POR 15 Chrysler Blue "engine painting KIT" (70s 318 blue Ive also heard it called)
that I plan on trying on both my Volare motor as well as plans for yanking the engine from my Fury this fall/winter to regasket everything (except the heads), powerwash it and prep/paint it right. This cost me $53. I think I'll have enough to do both engines. Ive had great luck with their products
before so I thought I'd give this one a try. They do offer several different factory engine colors, might give them a try on yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:23 pm 

Car Model:
None of the channels for engine paint offers the particular colour needed in this case. Bill Hirsch's engine paint is fantastic stuff, as is POR15's, but neither of them has the necessary colour (yet...?).

The aluminum intake (either sandcast or semipermanent-mold) was used on all '60 slant-6s. Cast iron from '61-up with the following exceptions:

1976 Feather Duster and Dart Lite got a nice sandcast aluminum 1bbl.

Some '79-'84 slant-6s got an aluminum 1bbl or 2bbl intake, a welded 2-piece design (can see the weld seam at the top of each runner). These weigh almost nothing, but are very prone to leaks through porous welds, cracks, warping, and other nastiness.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:40 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Hello All...it's been a while.

I have an update on this engine paint situation for the '60 Dodge Slants. As discussed, the engine color for this year was unique to this year...a metallic blue with a hint of green.

I stumbled across the site for Seymour Paint in Sycamore IL. They have an engine paint called AMC Blue (EN-66). After finding some pics online of motors painted with this color, I ordered a can and tried it out on one of my parts. Turns out to be a REAL close match to the original color on my valve cover...and it's a metallic paint to boot.

If you order it direct from Seymour it is only $4.40 a can, although I think that I saw Summit Paint selling it for around $20 for a 6 pack.

Anyway, just wanted to pass on this find for anyone.

Bill

'60 Dodge Dart Pioneer

Vivian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:08 pm 

Car Model:
Great find! Can we see some pics of a "test shoot" of this paint? I've been unsuccessful so far in getting a good sample to repro from, so if this AMC stuff is a good match, that's one less project (and a lot less money) required. And even if it's not a perfect match, I'm sure "Could you make me a batch of your paint number such-and-such, a little more (tinted whatever direction)" could be done.

Update: I went mousing around and found this photo of that paint on an engine. It looks like a bunch of suppliers offer it, and as with all engine paints, the tint/shade varies depending on supplier. I found some pics suggesting it is indeed a close match for the '60 225. If either of these photos is perfectly representative (they never are), I would probably want the paint to be a little greener, myself:

second, unlinkable photo

But if I absolutely couldn't have it modified, then this would probably be closer than anything else available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:58 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Dan,

I saw these pics, too, when I was hunting around and I was concerned that the paint would be too blue, but these pics are somewhat deceiving. This color does have just the slightest aqua/greenish tint to it when applied.

I'll try and get some pics posted later this week of a freshly painted piece next to one of my old valve covers with original paint on it.

Thanks again for your, and everyone's, input and help on this topic.

'60 Dodge Dart Pioneer

Vivian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:41 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Here is a shot of the valve cover painted with the AMC Blue Metallic along side another one with some original paint left on it.

Not a perfect match, but darn close...and closer than anything else out there short of a custom mix.

I ended up ordering a six pack of this paint from Summit Paint. The total with shipping came to $31 and some change.

'60 Dodge Dart Pioneer

Vivian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:50 pm 

Car Model:
I agree that's a very close match. I would want it a leeeeetle bit greener to be absolutely a hundred percent correct, but this what you've found is certainly very close indeed. Good sleuthing.

It's rare to see two 1960-only valve covers side by side like that, no matter what colour they might be painted!

Who/where is Summit Paint?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:05 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Summit Paint is a small chain in Ohio. Check them out here: http://www.summitpaint.com/

They were mentioned on some of the sites when I was hunting down this AMC Blue.

The fresh painted VC is the original one off my motor. The other one was given to me by a gent in Indiana, along with most of the rest of a disassembled '60 Slant that came out of a parts car that he had. The only things that he couldn't find was the oil pan, timing cover, and motor mounts...what I had originally contacted him about. (btw, he has a sweet '60 Dart D500 convertible that he bought brand new.)

I also have a lead on a Slant that is sitting in a '60 Belvidere. I'm hoping to pick that one up when the snow melts and the ground firms up.

Been thinking of getting one of these other valve covers chromed later on after I get this ol' girl up and running

'60 Dodge Dart Pioneer

Vivian