Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:01 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
As I’m gearing up to build up the slant in my dart, I find myself wondering how a properly built and geared slant would do in a 1979 K10 pickup. The truck currently has a mildly built efi 350 that is pretty much newly rebuilt, but with these gas prices it isn’t a fun daily.
Has anyone done something like this or know of anyone who has?
For those of you who have gone through this thought experiment before, how would you have gone about this build?
I’m in CA and subject to draconian smog laws, and the truck has a 3 spd + granny SM465/NP205 transfer case. Not sure what the gearing situation is in the differential yet. But this is all purely hypothetical, let’s assume I can do whatever I want with the driveline and register in a non-smog area.
I realize that the amount of time and money this kind of project would take far outweigh the potential savings on gas… But gives me an excuse to get another slant on the road! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:28 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
There is a time a smaller engine is more efficient just because it's smaller. Though I LOVE the use of a Dodge engine ina Chevy, that's aLOT of weight to move around. There is a point where a bigger engine is more efficient since it doesn't have to work as hard related to the amount of power available in it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:40 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Why would anyone want to put a Mopar in a GM product is beyond me?
dartresurector67 wrote:
The truck currently has a mildly built efi 350 that is pretty much newly rebuilt, but with these gas prices it isn’t a fun daily.

Well, you choose to live in that state, you have to deal with that crap! Why do you stay there? MOVE out!
dartresurector67 wrote:

I’m in CA and subject to draconian smog laws, and the truck has a 3 spd + granny SM465/NP205 transfer case. let’s assume I can do whatever I want with the driveline and register in a non-smog area.

Honestly? As &#@% up as CA. is, I bet a bag of donuts that CARB and the DMV would deny your request to register it for having a non-compliant, non-correct motor! Then where does that put you?
Do what you want and Good Luck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:10 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Anything can work with anything, and it is really your personal taste that you should consider. Wilcap does make an adapter plate/kit for the Slant 6 to GM trannys. I doubt you will get better MPG with a carbureted (or even EFI'd) Slant than an EFI'd 350, and you will have less power. Personally, I would probably look for another vehicle for a Slant swap, or enjoy the other Slant cars you already have. Sounds like you might have a Dart or two??

Warm wishes and welcome to the site!

Lou