Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:51 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Wow, that wear certainly is conspicuous. I'm really interested to see how this repair works out. Where does one take something to be copper slag-blasted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:41 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
copper slag is generally used for sandblasting plate steel and other heavy uses. the slag is a leftover from the copper smelting process. it's black in colour. you can get it in various grits, even princess auto has bags of 80 grit on sale from time to time. silica is more common for automotive uses, and is white in colour. the idea here is to get a heavy tooth that the filler will adhere to.
i know some guys at heddle marine on hillyard ave. in hamilton, next time they blast a ship's hull i'll get the guy to aim it at my hub for a few seconds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:00 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
the box finally arrived (my new workplace has an account with the company as it happens) and here is what i got for my money,

resin pouch, hardener pouch, mixing board, mixing trowel, applicator and instruction bulletin. for scale, the bulletin is a regular 8&1/2" x 11" leaflet. not shown is the excellent customer service i received on the phone, and a bottle of acetone she threw in just in case.

these pouches are deceptively small, i will only be using a tiny fraction of what ive been given and the pouches have a long shelf life. these pouches should give me several years of ass-saving repairs just like this one. i will post pictures of the prepared hub and before/after machining shots as it unfolds. from this point forward any other repairs will only put me out for finish machining, which should obviously save me a lot of money and time tracking down hard-to-find parts.

the millwrights use the 1111 and 1121 on the line and have said a lot of good things about it so im very optimistic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:31 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
copper slag, 20 grit, 10KG, $11.00 princess auto/harbour freight
bore sandblasted
compound applied
bore machined and bearing cup pressed home
two degrees of camber corrected, repaired hub is on passenger side of car

this photo taken before second hub was repaired

total cost of machining: $10 CAD

total mileage since repair: 3140

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:43 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Hey, great stuff! Looks like the repair worked well, eh? Any difficulties installing the bearing once the Belzona compound cured and the bore was machined?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:58 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
none, it went together as normal.

belzona has published repair case histories in many different applications, here is a link to those authored in ontario, canada:

http://www.belzonaontario.com/belzona/D ... ame=Marine

i am confident using this compound was solid advice. i will report any defects. given the expected use and mileage i do not foresee any issues, and i drive this car much more than average for a 40 year-old automobile. i personally vouch for its effectiveness.