Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:29 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
So this motor is storied…. Was rebuilt by a shop several years ago. Sat untouched for years. While spinning by hand found the cam bearings were too tight to the point they squeaked. Took it apart and redid the bearings myself. That was an adventure … finally now it’s in and ready to start.

Cranking with no plugs in lead to no pressure on either the aftermarket gauge (sender tapped into rear oil galley pad) or stock light. Spent maybe 30+ seconds. This is with a mini starter. Thought maybe not enough rpm. Started the car. Still no pressure after about a minute, probably less. Gave it a small goose too, nothing

Thought maybe I left the front galley plug out. Before resorting to pulling the motor I decided to table the pump cover off - on a past motor I was able to spin the pump rotor by hand on a gear that spun on the shaft. Nope… that seems tight. I noted the cavity was very dry… zero oil, so no it wasn’t a forgotten plug.

I packed the pump with a bunch of Vaseline, put the rotor back in so it really squished it all in. Put the cover back on. Seconds later on the starter with plugs in I had pressure.

I thought packing the pump was optional. I never did it before so didn’t this time around. Maybe it depends on clearance or something?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:51 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
Same thing happened to me. I had to pull the pump and glue in a little piece of gasket material and BOOM oil pressure! I think there is a post or article about just that gasket mismatch situation on here somewhere. I don't remember if I packed mine or not but I think I did.

Last edited by drgonzo on Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:38 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I have always back filled my pumps on the motor with engine oil down both filter holes on the pump.

But what you are saying makes sense as well.

Thanks for sharing,

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:29 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
Oil Pump Gasket Mismatch

The blacked-out area shown is the place where the casting is different on some of the 5-hole pumps and you can see a small "gap" where there is no flat area on the pump, needed to compress the gasket to make a seal.

All the gaskets are cut the same so don't waste time looking for that "special" gasket.
Cut a small wedge of gasket material and glue it down in the area below the line shown in the close-up shot below. Cut the gasket material from the "6th hole" area that is not used by the 5 hole pump.

Glue in a small section of gasket material below the line to complete the seal.
Attachment:
OPG.jpg
OPG.jpg [ 50.54 KiB | Viewed 539 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:50 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The body gasket wasn’t touched. I don’t recall if it’s 5 or 6 hole but the gasket was matched to the pump. The only thing done to solve the current problem was the pump cover was removed, rotor removed, cavity packed with Vaseline, replaced rotor, replaced cover and o-ring.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:27 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
The O.P. didn't have a gasket problem. I responded without thoroughly reading his post. Thanks for re-posting that pic though Matt. I will save it this time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:33 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I just fill the oil filter with oil (pour, let it soak, repeat, til full), then quickly invert it and that will fill the pump to get pressure. Been there done that on a few engines or other people with the same problem. Vaseline works too, but I've never had to disassemble/pull a pump and do that before.

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:14 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I filled the filter and let it soak but drained it before installing. I wouldn’t have the guts to flip over a full filter. Maybe if the engine was on the stand.

So what’s the mode of action here? Is there some kind of air lock going on? Why does it only happen sometimes?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:09 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
For packing the oil pump, Vaseline works, but I use LubriPlate 105 as that is the assembly lube that is already coating the plain bearings.
I also pre wet the oil filter, fill the filter with oil to soak the filter media, but drain it prior to installing on the engine. I also put oil into the in and out passages on the oil pump housing/filter mount.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:26 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Main purpose of putting Vaseline/grease/assy lub in the filter is to insure the pump picks up the oil from the pan on start up. With a new pump (or a clean used pump) there might be enough clearance between the internal components, that the pump cannot develop enough suction to pull the oil from the pan. The Vaseline/grease seals these components to allow sufficient suction. Once the oil gets to the pump that oil will seal everything up. Actually it is not a good idea to completely pack the pump, as this can block the oil flow. Just need a small amount of grease to coat the parts and ensure a seal.
By filling the filter prior to first start, it insures less time for oil to get where it is needed.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170