Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 12 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:04 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Welcome on the board, DusterNovice. As soon as you can, get the three books described in this thread and read 'em! Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:30 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Thanks Dan, I've been lurking around here for a while, but I just found out that my account had been activated (I never saw the notification email, probably got filtered out). I picked up the books and I'm soaking up as much knowledge as I can from my dad before I head back to college.

He has rebuilt his 77 CJ5 from the ground up so he has plenty of experience, but sadly (for me) it's a V8 so he isn't great on single barrels and the /6.

I looked over the fuel mod instructions several times but as the /6 is still new to me, I'm not 100% on how to proceed. If anyone has any clear pictures that would be relevant and could post them, I would be most grateful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:46 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Getting ready to do this mod. I ordered two of the Dorman 492-024 fittings from a place and they only had one in stock. Just curious if anyone had an extra one they'd be willing to sell? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:54 am 

Car Model:
The Fuel line mod article has been updated with links to new sources of the needed fittings now Dorman have discontinued them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:42 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1977 B100 Van
SlantSixDan wrote:
The Fuel line mod article has been updated with links to new sources of the needed fittings now Dorman have discontinued them.

Thanks for the new link Dan. Not cheap shipping to Canada though.

I should have ordered Dorman's fittings when I could… I thought local parts shops would have them in stock, but unfortunately they don't.

I am also looking at Edelmann #822550 fittings, but neither summit nor amazon will ship them internationnaly due to some strange legal restrictions (same issue I had with the Ideal fuel injection clamps last time I checked).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:10 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Would it be acceptable to just cut the metal line a few inches from the fuel pump and start the hose there since the suggested part is discontinued?

Thinking of just cutting it and using a hose clamp to marry the 2 together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:34 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Sure, I have been running mine that way for years.

http://cid-32f1e50ddb40a03c.photos.live ... %20Swinger

74 Swinger, 9.5 comp 254/.435 lift cam, 904, ram air, electric fans, 2.5" HP2 & FM70 ex, 1920 Holley#56jet, 2.76 8 3/4 Sure-Grip, 26" tires, 25+MPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:33 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Nappa82 wrote:
Would it be acceptable to just cut the metal line a few inches from the fuel pump and start the hose there since the suggested part is discontinued?

Thinking of just cutting it and using a hose clamp to marry the 2 together.

A suggestion if you go this route, use a brake line flare tool to create a small bubble on the end of the steel line. Makes it harder for the hose to slip off of steel line. A fuzzy pic of what you end up with,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:41 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I just got back inside from working on the car. I used the old fuel line and cut it about 3 inches from the end. It was already bent to an almost 90 degree. Already had the flared end with the slip thread thing (HAHA no idea the name of that). Took about 15 minutes. Here is a few pics. I left a lot of hose just in case I want to change it up.

Here for information on the engine I have and how-tos on all aspects of it.

Post subject: fuel line
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:53 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Here is how I did mine. Simple, just had to make a couple of support brackets but its neat and clean. Used matching heater hose to cover both the rubber and metal parts of the fuel line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:57 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I like it. Looks very clean. Once I get this engine running great I will worry about all the asthetics of it haha.

Here for information on the engine I have and how-tos on all aspects of it.

Post subject: Fuel filter location
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:57 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1977 B100 Van
Stock fuel filter location on my B100 van appears to be in the frame rail between the fuel tank and fuel pump.

Since a vans doghouse is a more confined and hotter place than a cars underhood,
I'm not sure if I should relocate the filter after the pump like suggested in this mod or keep it where it is…

Any experience or opinion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:24 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Got bored today at work and made these up, just cut, bent and flared as I needed it and with the help of boredom I polished them up lol Was $4 for a steel line but I already have a flare tool, bender, and tubing cutter.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:06 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Hi guys, newby here.. just discovered this forum, THANKS.

I have a question and a problem. First, the problem.

Old '79 D10 pickup, bought last year. Wanted something to tinker with, while providing basic transpo to the dump. (Old disabled vet, need something to keep alive and feeling human... eh... ;)

Ok. When I bought her, she started up every time. Now, she takes spells.
I noticed;
The SOB I bought her from, or a previous owner, had removed vac lines.
The fuel line is as discussed in this thread, over the top and metal. I noticed the plastic filter, had no fuel in it, and, when she gets in this mood, she won't start. I hit her with a dose of starting fluid, and after a few trys she runs, roughly, but it smooths out... relatively.
But, the fuel in the filter never seems to go up above about a quarter or eigth of the filter.
Like the fuel pump is not pumping? But, even when shes running, the fuel filter never fills up...

Being on disability, I have to space out saving my pennies for her, and I was going to buy an electric fuel pump and bypass the original.(Thinking that maybe the new fuels had damaged the diaphram?)

Enough for now, I thank you for your wonderful forum and site, I've already learned quite a bit, and would rather talk to an expert first, before I blow a dollar...

Thanks in advance...
;)
'piper

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:01 am 

Car Model:
The fuel filter won't fill up -- it will usually just have a small amount of fuel in it. That's normal. Hacked and removed vacuum lines are probably not an improvement. You'll want the three books described in this thread.

You may indeed need a new fuel pump (if your present one is leaking down after engine shutoff) but in that case, put in the original type of pump; an electric pump is far more hassle and expense than you need to subject yourself to, and it will cause new problems.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 12 Next