Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: nylon gear cam sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:34 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Just wondering what the reasons were for changing to a nylon gear sprocket?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:54 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Noise

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:35 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
ok, thanks, how much more noise are we talking about? Is it just at revs, or idle too? Can you hear the difference in the cabin of a car too?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:18 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
how much more noise are we talking about?
None :D :D
I never heard any noise from the front of any Slant six that was able to be heard over the solid lifter ticking.

Truth is it probably cost 3 cents less. :?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:28 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
Cheaper to produce as well I'm sure!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:50 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I haven't had as many Slants apart or distributors out of as many here have had/, and most that I have had, have been 15-20-more years ago/
(until the past weekend, that was) and my memory isn't what it used to be... but of what I can remember, I don't believe I have seen anything BUT a nylon gear on the bottom of a slant distributor.... my 85 has a nylon gear and I have 2, '70s electronic distributors here/ and a NOS distributor from back in the day, that are all nylon geared.
I do clearly remember my 79 D100 that I yanked and replaced with another slant, because it abruptly died on me, was a nylon gear on the distributor. so was my 80 Aspen, my 80 Volare, and the 63 engine that went into that 80 Aspen.....

When that 79 truck died on me, I coasted into a farm field entrance to get off the road, and discovered a sheared dist gear/ back then, every parts store had them on the "HELP!" rack for a couple of bucks/ those, and 351W Ford ones......

but I walked home, got Mom's car and went to closest parts store for a new gear.... put it in, static timed it, cranked it, just about the time it seemed like it was gonna start, I got a huge backfire/ and my rotor would be about 2 cylinders off from where I installed it..... pulled dist again, to find another stripped drive gear. I went back and got a couple more, tried a 2nd time, same result..... no wonder only a couple of bucks.... they are "junk" I thought. When that 2nd gear stripped, I went to pull the distributor again/ and then I discovered the reason.... I saw a busted tooth on the cam......this time, it was rotated upwards towards the distributor hole, where I could see it. this was the original engine from the truck, somewhere around 125k miles/ up til now, it had run great...... In the day I found a whole running slant, cheaper than it was to buy a new cam, lifters, timing set and gaskets..... so I swapped engines..... but soon wished I'd have fixed the original one, my replacement was an oil burning, down-on-power, pig as compared to how that original engine had been......

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:04 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
volaredon wrote:
of what I can remember, I don't believe I have seen anything BUT a nylon gear on the bottom of a slant distributor

OP's not asking about distributor drive pinions, but camshaft sprockets.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:26 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
sorry, missed that.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:11 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
thanks for the answers. I had a NOS nylon tooth one that was showing some age marks on the teeth. Didn’t like the look of it, so opened up a spare engine that had metal teeth gear, and looked in good condition i.e. low wear.
I know I shouldn’t use old gears with new chain, but just at the moment our country is in lockdown and I wanted to progress the job. At least I can be certain that it won’t let me down quickly, which I would not have been confident with the nylon.