Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:56 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: /6 Volare and 2x 4c Stratus, 93 S10 Gator Grill
So, I'm in the process of checking systems from a junkyard save. It looks to have Super Six on the breather, with an OSAC valve (already bypassed directly to the carb). The vacuum line diagram is pretty accurate:

The only differences are that at the vacuum solenoid valve, on the egr vacuum hose side, it T's off to a hose connected another port on the back/firewall side of the bay. The charcoal canister is missing both the purge (red) and carb vent hose. For the life of me, I cannot find any missing port that the carb vent hose would even connect to. The carb doesn't even HAVE that port anywhere.

The carb is a Carter 8261S, been through the 40 page manual, and cant find any kind of reference for it but that's likely because of inexperience. Additionally, I believe I may have been misguided, and poured about a shotglass worth of gas straight down into the carb aiming at the venturi. Still gotta flush out the oil to undo that one, but where would the manual bowl feed be on this carb?

-- My dad, long before I knew what it meant.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:04 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Show us pics of your carb, from multiple angles. It may or may not have an external bowl vent port. Info on appropriate hookup of the charcoal can is here. What to do about EGR depends on whether you're actually keeping it. Your shotglass of gasoline down the carb will not have ruined the oil; the engine didn't take offence and doesn't remember it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:06 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
If you put that gas down the carb throat no need to change oil just for that. That's where most would pour gas to try and get an engine with a dry carb going

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:51 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

That's kinda what I'd thought, but it's been a LONG time since I've had anything that isn't fuel injected. The reason I second guessed myself, is because the dipstick has a strong odor of gas now that I've been trying to turn her over. My initial impression was that the mechanical fuel pump had failed and leaked into the crankcase, but after realizing that I didnt pour "carefully into a manual bowl vent/port", I assumed I made a mistake.

Multiple picture of carb incoming, gimme 10 min.

Thanks for the fast replies too!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:54 pm 

Car Model:
Yeah, if you've got a strong gasoline odour in the oil, that's going to require an oil change and probably a replacement fuel pump.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:11 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Yeah, it's definitely strong, almost smells like more than I poured in (which would imply a failed fuel pump).

Would that mean the "vent ports" for the bowl are the two hemispheres on the LEFT (edited) side of this picture just beside the gasket?

Is it possible that the male part of the port is missing? Kinda looks like it could go to the hole just behind the red Carter tag.

This is the passenger-facing side where the diagram shows it should be:

Additional photos:
Front/Driver Side of carb: https://i.imgur.com/5y3tgEt.jpg
Rear of carb: https://i.imgur.com/JC8RPTm.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:34 pm 

Car Model:
Slanted.Penguin wrote:
Would that mean the "vent ports" for the bowl are the two hemispheres on the LEFT (edited) side of this picture just beside the gasket?
Those are the internal vents.

Quote:
Is it possible that the male part of the port is missing? Kinda looks like it could go to the hole just behind the red Carter tag.

Yes, exactly: this carb is missing the nipple that used to go in that hole. That's your external bowl vent.
A replacement can be had as Walker № 17-40; now all you have to do is find someone who will sell you one.

Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. Tune-up parts and technique suggestions are in this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:00 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Cheers. Pulled the dust cover off, and saw how that port has a valve attached and is measured at 3/8" OD, makes more sense in my head now. Pretty sure I can be resourceful enough to find one from a donor.

Thanks for the tips and the help!