Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:54 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I have been cruising my '62 Valiant wagon lately.
In weather above say ~75° it starts getting hot, not just when idling but also on short trips whilst on the move as well.

I have flushed all the nasty brown rust water that the previous owners called "coolant"

I am going to get the Radiator "rodded out" at the local shop. I can see some grit and other contamination clogging the tubes inside the rad. I want to keep the o.e. look so I don't want to get an an aluminum replacement.

While I have the rad out and easy access to the fan and water pump, I want to swap the stock 4 blade o.e. slant 6 fan for the solid hub 7 blade fan.
Did the a/c equipped r/s series cars come equipped with the 7 blade fan in '60-'62?

The clearance on this fan to the top rad tank is quite tight.
There is a cutout in the top tank but it's maybe 1/4 -1/2" of clearance.

Just wondering if that fan will work in the 62 valiant and stock Radiator.

Thanks!

Greg

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:18 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Just a FYI; The mopar parts book for 1962 lists fan with out a/c as 2121 971
fan with model "G" A/C 2206 356
spacer w A/C 2003 059
I don't have any specs on the number of blades or spacer size. By the picture in the parts book the fan is 6 blades.
I THINK the model "G" A/C is the unit that mounts under the dash.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:22 am 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
Greg, If you Val is like my Lancer there is NO room there.
I also tried to swap stuff, no go.

Dan did a custom radiator is his Lancer, there are no off the shelf units that will fit.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:54 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
There is very little front-to-back (depth) space available for the radiator fan in these cars, as you already know. You're hemmed in by the rad in front, and by the crank pulley in back. You do have some room to increase the fan blade diameter a bit. Compare the depth of the fan blade you want to use with that of the original fan; some of the 7-blade items aren't deeper than the 4-blade ones.

That said, your heating-up problem is not because Chrysler didn't put enough of a fan on the car, it's because your cooling system is decrepit and your block's probably full of mud. Bring the cooling system up to snuff and clean out the block—the hard way, by removing the rearmost freeze plug and digging/blasting the mud out through the lower rad hose, etc—and the original fan should be fine.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:03 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Thanks, Stan, Dan Charlie.

I did do ton of flushing on the block with the rear Right Side Drain Plug removed. I Did not think to try to poke out the Freeze Plug and flush it there as well... Might be able to get some good access to poke out / flush and replace that plug with the starter removed. Car has shorty headers, So that might create some access issues also.. I can always remove and replace them however.

I can also just Put a New Water pump on as flush it from the water pump pocket as well, not as good of a technique, but worth a try.

I did get a bunch of 'cool"mud"ant' out of the block already, but I am sure there is more in there.

Dropped the OE Rad off at the Shop for a good Rod out. I have another one available from my '62 Valiant sedan that I can swap to the wagon for a driving test if needed; as the '62 sedan runs cool as a cucumber with the stock 4 blade fan and cooling system.

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:18 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Got it All Flushed, with the Cleaned / Tested / Rodded Out Radiator Installed.

Tossed New Hoses and New Water Pump on for good measure.

I also Put an 7 Blade Mechanical Direct Drive Fan on for now From a slant 6 with A/C- just for some testing when Driving / Idling in the hotter weather - Will probably go back to the stock mechanical 4 Blade fan and test it as well.

Also Found a good Listing for a Molded Upper Radiator Hose that can be adapted to the early '60-'62 Cars - Possibly the '63-66 Cars as well but not for sure on that configuration.

For the Upper Hose look up Dayco 71381, Listed for a 1988-1995 Ford Taurus / Mercury Sable

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:48 pm 

Car Model:
Direct-fit upper rad hose for '61-'62 A-bodies with the 225 engine (with the rad inlet near the passenger side) is Gates 20450 or Dayco 71013. No adaptation required, just cut off a bit of extra length at one and/or the other end.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:27 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Thanks for sharing Dan good to know,

For some reason on Rockauto they only have the non oe flex hose listed for a '62 valiant on the upper, not the moulded hoses you list. But those part #'s are also clearly correct for my 225 with passenger side Radiator inlet.

My guess is a 170 uses a different hose?

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:15 am 

Car Model:
The 170s had the inlet near the centre of the top tank, like the '63-'66 cars, so it uses the simple L-bend upper hose.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:21 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Got it all back together with the Big 7 Blade fan was the car cool as a cucumber - only about 70° ambient air temp yesterday.

So I took that 7 blade fan off last night and swapped back to the stock 4 Blade Factory Slant 6 fan - Hoping for some 90° or More days to get the cooling system hot to see what happens with the 4 blade stock fan.

Cheers!
Greg