Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:31 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1963 Plymouth Valiant Signet Convertible
Hello, I am in the process of remodifications on my 1963 Plymouth Valiant. When trying to find parts for my 63, and the Super Six 225, I have not been blessed by the Mopar Gods. I am hoping that some of you seasoned veterans of the forum can and will help me out.
I am currently trying to find what I will need to just add a turbo onto my slant 6.

I find kits on the internet, but they're usually for later model Valliant's such as: 67 on up, and they specifically exclude my 63. Could any of you help me in locating a Turbo Kit for my 1963 Valiant, and share suggestions of installation if you have done one for a 1963 or have working knowledge on doing so?

Thank You Jeff B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:34 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
I DOUBT there is a "kit" for a 63. You maybe able to use some of the parts from a 67 kit, but lots of it will be up to you to figure out-and-engineer-yourself.

There are others who have turbocharged their cars. It is do-able.. spending some time over here: viewforum.php?f=30

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:50 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
No matter what year your car is, and no matter what you might've seen on the web somewhere, there is nothing such as a bolt-on-and-go turbo kit for a Slant-6. Turbocharging a Slant-6 can be done, with an enormous amount of money, effort, and time. But about 99.999% of the time, a turbo is not an appropriate thing to put on a Slant-6, unless the goal is to set enormous amounts of money, time, and effort on fire and not have a good-running, dependable car to show for it.

Maybe start from the start: sounds like you want your car to go faster, is that the goal?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:48 pm 
1 BBL (New)

A generous thank you for all who have responded.

Whilst not looking to do 10:30 in the quarter, but to simply pep up one of the best engines ever made,
it will be a relief to find a workable solution to give life to a vintage car.

I have also looked into changing the camshaft with matching springs and valves go with an aluminum 4bbl intake
with a 4bbl carburetor with headers, but, a'las that too, gets expensive.

Thank You again for all the helpful responses.
Best Wishes,
Jeff B

I've met many people who thought they were a flower,
but proved to be only blooming idiots. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:08 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
If the Simple Changes like Cam, Headers, A Proper Head, Valves and Springs, Intake and a four barrel seem expensive than a turbo With a pseudo Kit or parts you put together... properly done will be about 3X the cost of the Normally aspirated parts, Unless you are able to find all the parts at a swap or used then it could be a bit less.

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:11 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
It's fun to think about turbos and 4bbls and intakes and cams, but picking out parts to install shouldn't be the first step—it should be one of the last, just before installing them. If you do this backwards and pick parts first, you stand an excellent chance of winding up disappointed, sad, and impoverished.

First, make a coherent and detailed plan of exactly what you want the car to do differently than it does now, keeping in mind that these cars need a lot of upgrading in the stopping-and-steering department even with a stock motor, and making the car go faster increases the urgency of the need for better stopping and steering.

Then, the next step is to figure out your budget. Be realistic; once you arrive at a number, cut it in half, because projects like this almost always exceed the planned cost—if you wind up overestimating the cost, well, nifty, you've got money left over. But if you wind up underestimating the cost, oh shіt…the project grinds to a halt, sometimes forever.

Step three: prioritize your list. Stopping and steering better is more important but not as thrilling as going fast and quick, so make some hard decisions.

Step four: consult with experts (such as on this board) for advice on how best to achieve the items on your list. This is the point where you start deciding what parts to buy.

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:45 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Yes define what you want to do before choosing / buying any parts.

Dan has some sage advice here.

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:32 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Yes, Dan gives good advice on how to best plan this and not be disappointed. I can discuss options with you sometime, especially since it seems we are not too far apart...

Best,
Lou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:44 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Thank you for the guide to wisdom of understanding of budget building an A Unibody car.
This forum is a remarkable find. Thank You Dan for guiding me (steering) me in to a good
place to start (stop).

Steering and stopping will be my first focus.
I have standard stock steering assembly and stock drum and disc brakes on the car currently.

Attachments:
63 Plymouth.jpg
63 Plymouth.jpg [ 183.99 KiB | Viewed 1395 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:56 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 Dodge Dart
Stock discs are pretty decent unless you plan to go endurance racing; only drawback is that some replacement parts can be harder to find than later single piston calipers. Well, that and the smaller selection of wheel options for the 5x4 bolt pattern. The 11.75" discs you sometimes see are overkill for street use... But they aren't any more work than smaller disc if you're swapping from drums, so that's why I have oversized brakes.

As with the engine, brake and suspension plans should start with a goal and budget.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:23 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Makes good sense, thank you.
At least now I can start hunting and pricing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:52 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
If using SBP Kelsey-Hayes discs, I suggest using EBC Yellowstuff pads on the street. The parts store pads on my 68 Dart (when I ran KH's) were awful and EBCs should make a big difference.

Also, 11.75s are just much better than any 11" disc setup. You need as much brake as you can get so you don't rearend people on the street with way better brakes than you! Basically, that's everyone these days.

Lou