Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Damn electrical issues
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:22 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
So I took off my valve cover to set the valve lash, then when I try to start it there is just a click and nothing else. The tailights, brake and reverse lights do not work now as well. The domelight, headlights, wipers and fuel guage does work. I replaced the ballast resistor but that didnt fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

The engine bay wiring is old and cruddy, Im guessing when i lifted the valve cover I might have pulled a cable or shorted something out? the fusible links look ok and fuses seem fine. I'm stuck on this. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:34 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Just a guess, but I would say circuit feeding the amp gage is compromised. In other words power from battery to fuse block is disrupted. You will need to test at various points along this circuit with a test light or VOM to find where the bad connection is located. Power to feed ignition system comes from amp gage, back through the bulkhead connector to engine compartment.

Print a copy of your truck’s wiring diagram, clip it to a clip board, and systematically follow the main feed from battery to the fuse block checking off each test point as you go. Be sure to test bulkhead connector’s connections, as this can be a problem area, and fusible links with a test light etc. being careful not to puncture their insulation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:46 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Automatic or manual? Could be the safety switch-giggle the shifter in neutral. Check the wires going to the starter relay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:20 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Look at the bulkhead connector for a loose plug/connection

Taking care of 57 300C conv,48 T&C conv. Missing my 67 GTX and 36 Ply coupe

Post subject: no power
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:22 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
check battery cables hooked up to battery.
i have forgotten to connect them after working on engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:53 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
4speed was right it was a loose connection. Once i reconnected and swapped the connections around on the ballast evrything worked fine. I thought the connections on the ballast were universal but now I know better.b

It definately runs better since doing the vash lash. I did notice the exhaust seems to spit out some liquid like oily water, should I be concerned with this?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, you guys rock!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:23 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
" I did notice the exhaust seems to spit out some liquid like oily water, should I be concerned with this? "
Short answer-no. When a engine is first started and until the tail pipe gets hot it will produce steam. Which condenses on the cold exhaust pipe and picks up carbon/oil which coats the inside of the pipe. And drips out the tail pipe. Normal.

Taking care of 57 300C conv,48 T&C conv. Missing my 67 GTX and 36 Ply coupe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:09 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
1974stepside wrote:
4speed was right it was a loose connection. Once i reconnected and swapped the connections around on the ballast evrything worked fine. I thought the connections on the ballast were universal but now I know better.b

It definately runs better since doing the vash lash. I did notice the exhaust seems to spit out some liquid like oily water, should I be concerned with this?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, you guys rock!

I don't understand how this fixed all the other failed circuits. You had tail lights, brake and reverse lights not working. Did you move other connections also?

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:14 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
The loose connection was why the lights werent working and switching the connection on the ballast was why it wasnt starting.