Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 734 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:19 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Whoah, stop. Save yourself a ton of aggravation and give your truck a chance at running well:

Do not buy anything buy from Layson, Ever. He is a known and demonstrated con artist and a cheat — just search this board or any other Mopar board — and he is now fighting very legitimate Federal fraud and counterfeiting charges.

Do not buy from Autozone, except for cheap engine oil and antifreeze. Other than that, they sell only junk.

Do not buy "remanufactured" parts from anywhere. They are junk, too.

You don't want what Layson is fraudulently advertising as a "Mopar Performance high performance advance curve"; in reality-speak that means it's got a single ultra-lightweight spring on the mechanical advance. Totally unsuitable for on-street usage. It's not what you want, not even a little bit.

You can get a very suitable brand-new electronic ignition distributor from Old Car Parts Northwest. You need a single-pickup electronic slant-6 distributor with two wires. He has several different part numbers; 3874714 is a fine choice with a good advance curve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:07 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
thank-you thank-you thank-you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:14 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
On this coil, are the two male prongs on the left + and the two on the right - ?

They're marked + on left and - on the right, I just want to know if it matters where I hook the wires from the HEI to, and if I have to use all four terminals...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:19 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
OK, so I got the whole unit from a Salvage yard yesterday. 98 Chevy PU coil with bracket and module. my question is about the connectors. Anyone know of a cheaper source for stock connectors? Or is this overkill? Rock auto list the coil one for $25 and the module for $46.

Also the shape of the bracket is a bit odd, but it looks like it would wrap around the inner fender. Are there supposed to be rubber "cushoners" between it and the fender (for vibration)? It ALMOST looks like there is supposed to be some, (although I know it needs to be grounded too)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:23 am 

Car Model:
bbbbbb9 wrote:
OK, so I got the whole unit from a Salvage yard yesterday. 98 Chevy PU coil with bracket and module. my question is about the connectors. Anyone know of a cheaper source for stock connectors?

Yup: the same vehicle at the same salvage yard! :cool: The OE-type connectors are costly, but they're also very, very high grade stuff: triple-weathersealed, etc.

Quote:
Also the shape of the bracket is a bit odd, but it looks like it would wrap around the inner fender. Are there supposed to be rubber "cushoners" between it and the fender (for vibration)?

Not sure, but doubt it; that coil is epoxy-potted and therefore not vibration-prone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:33 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks Dan. the problem is that all the "You-pull-it" yards here in town didn't have any so I had to go to a yard that had already pulled it ($25 though). They sell the whole harness seperately. What are my alternatives for trying to keep dus out of the connection port? It's obvious by the GM design they were concerned with this and Tucson is one dusty town.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:13 am 

Car Model:
Try another wrecking yard…?

Dust won't make problems — moisture will, and there's not much of that in Tucson! :shock: Seriously, about all you need to worry about is adequate electrical contact and adequate electrical insulation. If you aren't concerned with easy snap-off/snap-on connection, you could make the connections permanent (soldering iron) then fill up the cavity with RTV silicone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:15 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
True. The voice of reason again Dan. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:02 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I'll still need the relay with this unit though, correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:39 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
I've been running my HEI conversion without a relay for a few thousand miles and many months with no relay and no problems. My electrical system is in pretty decent shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:46 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I have installed HEI on three cars now, never with a relay. In fact, I just got done converting one about ten minutes agfo and it is running fine without a relay. Relays might be a good idea long term, but don't seem to be absolutely necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:47 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
I have installed HEI on three cars now, never with a relay. In fact, I just got done converting one about ten minutes agfo and it is running fine without a relay. Relays might be a good idea long term, but don't seem to be absolutely necessary.

You can get it running without a relay, but you'll dramatically shorten the life of the module if it doesn't have full voltage. I found this out the hard way on my way back from our squadron picnic soon after I bought my Duster. Discovered the necessity for full voltage so I wired in a relay, and not a problem since. I just fired it up a week or so ago after sitting since October and it was as if it had just sat for a day or so.

Know how they always build a better idiot? That's me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:09 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
?Same relay Dan called for in the article?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:35 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
bbbbbb9 wrote:
?Same relay Dan called for in the article?

The same.

Know how they always build a better idiot? That's me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:29 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
This is the coil/module combo I made for my conversion from leanburn.http://s658.photobucket.com/albums/uu310/oldblue1982/

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 499 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 734 Next