Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Adding a factory gauge
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:29 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 78’ dodge D100 slant six
Hello folks me again :D I’d like to add a factory oil pressure gauge to my 78 d100. I’m confident I can make it work in a stand alone setting. That said, I will be keeping my dummy light and this will be an add on. How do I wire it up or is it a tube similar to the new ones? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:48 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
The Light and the Factory Gauge have Different pressure transducers at the oil pump / pressure fitting .

You will need to add a plumbing T or some sort of other method there to use both.

The factory gauge will need one (additional) wire running from it to the proper (new) pressure transducer for that gauge.

I have done what you describe one my 79 Volare Duster, all of the trucks I have owned had the factory gauge factory installed. It is somewhat rare in my experience to have a truck with just a warning light.

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:53 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 78’ dodge D100 slant six
Thanks for the info. What is the transducer for this? The light works flawless but I’m planning on relocating it to a small place in the “seat belt warning” area. I have wiring diagrams and such. I will also get the correct sending unit as well. Any other tips?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:12 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Right at the oil pump you will find the oil sender switch (on/off type switch based on minimum pressure threshold) for your stock oil pressure "idiot light". Your gauge will have its own way of detecting oil pressure. This may be an analog sensor (similar to your stock oil pressure switch with a wire connection), or may just need to tap a pressurized oil passage source; with the "sensing" function built into the gauge. Either way, your stock oil pressure switch is located in a good location to tap for your new gauge. The stock OP switch screws in with a 1/8" NPT nipple (switch = male, block = female). I found in the past that trying to screw a "T" into that dang hole doesn't work, as even a brass 1/8" NPT "T" hits the block while trying to screw it in. (I had to pull the oil pump to get the sucker in while turbocharging a '73 Dart). There may be other passages in the block you can tap, but I'm not sure.