Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:53 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
Playing with a 77 D200 with the "heavy duty emissions" package..
Distributor # 3755056 has a 15 degree governor, I shortened it to about 12 degrees. Attempting to emulate a mid 60's ignition curve and this is the first attempt in that direction.

Have been fussing with the brass feeler gauge to get the reluctor gap set. Have tried .008, and then .006.

EDIT:

Ended up setting it with a piece of paper between the reluctor wheel and the pick up. For some reason I was unable to successfully tighten down the adjustment screw with out changing the setting. The paper seemed to accomplish that better than the brass feeler gauge.

Now onto mapping the advance curve...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:40 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
reducing the slots for a 3* change in mechanical advance wouldn't seem to be enough of a change to justify the work....
I've got a distributor that I am playing with, too...
your maximum amount of advance before a ping is no different... the only thing that shrinking those slots will help with is being able to set your initial advance higher. which does have advantages... there were different governors on /6 distributors over the years.... the super 6 ones had a 9* governor.... you can get there with your existing one, by shortening those slots a bit further.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:38 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
volaredon wrote:
reducing the slots for a 3* change in mechanical advance wouldn't seem to be enough of a change to justify the work....
I've got a distributor that I am playing with, too...
your maximum amount of advance before a ping is no different... the only thing that shrinking those slots will help with is being able to set your initial advance higher. which does have advantages... there were different governors on /6 distributors over the years.... the super 6 ones had a 9* governor.... you can get there with your existing one, by shortening those slots a bit further.

Yeah, I've got a 3874876 distributor here with a short governor slot. I don't think my truck will allow that much, although it might be fun to see experience the difference..

I am amazed with the difference between having the initial set at TDC, vs having it set at 6*BTDC.

It is a whole new truck! My goal of emulating a mid 1960's distributor advance curve was suggested by DI as a good beginning point.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:41 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I have 2, 3874876 here. One NOS, I've run it ~100 miles in the country in 10-12 mile bursts just to keep fluids flowing in my old engine. Unmodified from stock.
My other one came to me used, unknown condition. and stiff, didnt want to hardly move.
I took that 2nd one apart, stuck all the pieces in the ultrasonic, replaced the "heavy" advance spring with another like the lighter of the 2 originals, along with the vac advance pod with a different number (went from "11.5" to "8.5" VA pod, based on what guys on here were telling me would work better for my application, earlier in this mess of a project) besides just to have a new "fresh" pod on there, with the rebuild/ and a new ignition pickup plate, new CH403X cap and rotor..... I plan to try them both once the new engine is in, and broken in. see what difference there may be in how it runs with one over the other..... I still have the old parts I pulled out of the one I went thru.....