Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:55 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 Dodge Dart
I've had a few people ask when I worked for DIYAutoTune if we could make replacements for voltage regulators, ignition modules, and some other electrical components which are getting harder to find well made versions. I'm no longer with DIYAutoTune, but I've been giving the matter some serious thought. I'd like to start with voltage regulators - they are something I can bring to market a bit more quickly than ignition modules. Copying the stock connector would be a bit difficult, so I would offer these with either spade terminals or a motorsports type connector. The module also would not look like the stock design.

Estimated price would be $80 each, with spade terminals. More with a motorsports connector, possibly $110 or so.

I could potentially make these as high side (single field) or low side (dual field) versions and also offer a 16 volt version for drag racers.

These would be made in the USA, no corners cut, using modern design and a microcontroller instead of an analog circuit. One extra feature these would have compared to a stock design would be an alternator light output for an external dash light. This would come on solid if the alternator is being driven to maximum field current but can still maintain voltage, or flash if the alternator is at maximum current and unable to maintain voltage.

Who would be interested, and in what version?

- Regular or 16V
- Spade terminals or motorsports connector
- Single or dual field

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:23 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
What is a motorsport connector? Pics?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:46 pm 
EFI Slant 6

In this case, an Amphenol AT or Deutsch DT type. Like the one used on this module:

They are extremely vibration resistant and designed to be plugged and unplugged hundreds of times.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:35 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
Thanks Matt.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:26 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Matt,
You should also post the product over at For A Bodies Only, that has an active community many times larger than .org
Being a large community the FABO folks are typically wary of new folks selling stuff so you may want to post and get known there if you are not already a FABO member.
Although I think the best option would be either direct internet sales via a web site or get your products catalogued by an established classic car component seller like DMT Detroit Muscle Technology or Year One or some business like that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:07 am 
EFI Slant 6

Thanks, I'll dust off my FABO account. Used to be pretty active there.

One other interesting feature somebody suggested on another forum: Give the regulator a switch between regular and AGM charging. That won't be too had to implement since it's already using a microcontroller.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:50 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
MadScientistMatt wrote:
One other interesting feature somebody suggested on another forum: Give the regulator a switch between regular and AGM charging. That won't be too had to implement since it's already using a microcontroller.

How about a lithium mode too?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:29 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I would be interested in 1-2 units. If it has selectable for AGM (and even Li) mode(s), I would probably buy a few more. I have AGMs in 2-3 of my cars and will likely be switching to Li as the technology improves and gets cheaper. Of course, I am running internally regulated alternators on 4 of 5 of my old hotrods, but I would guess those alts are not optimal for AGM or Li either. I don't care which connectors. I would guess it is easy to switch many internally regulated alts to external...

Lou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:32 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Hmmm, so the adjustable, multi battery support may be my best angle for voltage regulators, leaving stock replacement parts to others. This would also play to the strength of having a microcontroller driven regulator instead of an all-analog design.

Some of the feedback elsewhere also has me taking a second look at if I could do a cost-effective replacement for stock ignition modules. Making one that behaves like the stock unit with high quality modern components would not be difficult. But I'd like to give it a more detailed re-think, making one that plugs into factory wiring without copying the faults of the original.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:33 am 
EFI Slant 6

The circuit boards are due in next week and I should have prototypes ready to test in a few weeks. Who's interested in beta testing one?

The first ones will be adjustable with a trim pot, set up for dual field alternators only, and are available with your choice of an Amphenol AT connector or 3/16" spade terminals. They are plastic bodied so they will need a separate ground, and the Amphenol AT also incorporates a separate direct-to-battery wire for positive voltage reference. Duplicating the Mopar plug will be a project for later - the first ones are universal designs to see if the circuit works.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:09 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I can beta test. I have a 76 D100 dual field charging system truck that has an autometer voltmeter. I would need to have factory connectors, though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:06 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Thanks, this would probably need some sort of adapter harness at this stage. I just ordered the remaining parts today and will post pictures when they're put together.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:32 am 
EFI Slant 6

The parts are trickling in. At this point I can assemble enough of one to give you an idea of what the spade terminal version will look like. Finished prototypes will be potted in clear silicone.

Attachments:
File comment: Partially assembled
regulator in case.jpg
regulator in case.jpg [ 96.31 KiB | Viewed 651 times ]
File comment: Bare PCB
regulator bare PCB.jpg
regulator bare PCB.jpg [ 74.16 KiB | Viewed 651 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:35 pm 
EFI Slant 6

After several false starts (including something sold as potting compound that was definitely an industrial caulk tube), I was able to run one on my car for about 20 minutes.

Next step is going to be to lay out a production circuit board - and this one will use a stock-fit connector.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:23 am 
EFI Slant 6

Not the most exciting update, but I'm working on getting all the paperwork approved to launch a business to sell the production version of the regulator. Want to make sure I've got every i dotted and t crossed, and then I'll order the parts to get started making these.