Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:34 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
This is on a 12 ram 1500, 4.7.
I'm getting the old "dead spot when I hit the key" that may happen 3 times today or it might happen tomorrow or maybe not again til next week, and occasionally a clash when it disengages for a sec or 2, but again sporadic.

I bought a new (reman I think) Lucas that was listed on feebay as being the right one for my truck.
I was originally gonna leave the new one behind the seat until the original one completely dies/ but since I had it up for an oil change today I figured I'd better swap it out before I end up having to do it in a snowdrift.
I put it in, (real easy one get at) hooked up the battery, hit the key and it spun but seemed like it made no effort to make contact with the ring gear at all. I noticed when I got it bolted up that the plug in terminal for the little terminal was above the 2 big lugs where the original was below as installed on the truck. Didn't think much about that detail at the time other than noticing it was "different" from the original.
Other than the solenoid appearing to be 180*upside down from the original one it looks identical. No problem bolting it up, nose cone looks right, etc.
I contacted the seller and within 15 minutes they got back to me (surprised being Saturday night) they issued me a refund and told me to keep it since I installed it... And though their eBay listing specifically said this is the right one, their reply said"sorry we don't show one for that application".
So I basically got a free starter.
What's the chances that I unbolt the solenoid, spin it 180*, reconnect the big lug that leads inside to what will be the opposite big lug on the solenoid re bolt it to the the starter body and have it work as it is supposed to?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:14 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Try it, if it doesn't work all you're out is some time.