Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:43 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
My turbo project is coming along pretty well. While tuning I've been limiting it to no more than 3 PSI of boost. Now I'm getting ready to run it into some higher boost levels and I'd like some more experienced slanters to check my timing table. What would you change?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:37 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I am pretty conservative with timing since I drive long distances and race and want reliability. The turbo Dart is a real street car. I have mine set to 18 deg at 8 psi and higher boost, and tapering smoothly to about 28 deg at 100 kPa. I run about 22-23 deg at 6 psi, which gets me into the high 13s in the quarter (runs 16s w/no boost). I have run up to 14 psi and made just under 400 crank HP (mid/high 12s in a 3250 lb racewt car). This all works well with pump premium fuel, but I add a few gallons of 110 octane when racing all day at a track running over 8 psi.

I have used the MSD 6530 digital programmable with MAP sensor for timing programming so far, but will likely move to MS3 or MSpro on my boosted car in the near future. Probably I am leaving plenty of HP on the table, and would also like to hook up a knock sensor to get closer to "the edge."

Hope this helps!

Lou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:43 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The turbo slants on fabo, only run 20* max and sometimes lock the distributor. I believe this is "reveled knowledge" and nobody knows what they are doing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:07 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks guys. I think I will back a few degrees out of the lower and middle boost ranges

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:08 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I've adjusted ignition timing in the low and mid boost areas, edited it a bit around the idle. Also, I increased advance in the low RPM area of the table that the motor never sees with the idea that it might help smooth out interpolation near the edge of that area.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:21 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
You could do what they appear to do with the hemi. Run maximum advance and let the knock detector adjust it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:56 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
What do you read in the chart? The Green? Learn me please. Thanks :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:37 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
kesteb wrote:
You could do what they appear to do with the hemi. Run maximum advance and let the knock detector adjust it.

Knock sensor isn't configured yet. I expect quite a learning curve when I get to that. By most accounts knock sensor input can be tricky. Especially on an engine that has a lot of mechanical noise already.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:43 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Rick Covalt wrote:
What do you read in the chart? The Green? Learn me please. Thanks :D :D

The colors don't really mean anything.
The horizontal scale is RPM (obviously). The vertical scale is manifold pressure in kpa. 100 kpa would equal wide open throttle on a naturally aspirated engine. 200 kpa is roughly 15 psi of boost.The numbers in the table are degrees of ignition advance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:39 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 2D Dart

Ignition degrees in my 170 cu in boosted engine. RE85 fuel. "Tuned on the road but runs good".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:55 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks Igu. I've massaged my advance table a bit more. Using this chart from Mopar Connection Magazine as a base line for 100kpa
And filling in the lower portion based on reading several threads here about dialing in the vacuum advance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:52 pm 

Car Model:
That is looking quite nice. I just arrived at about 16 deg advance on my NA EFI/crank trigger (wasted spark) Slant for best idle.

What kind of max boost do you eventually want to run, again?

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:07 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Dart270 wrote:
That is looking quite nice. I just arrived at about 16 deg advance on my NA EFI/crank trigger (wasted spark) Slant for best idle.

What kind of max boost do you eventually want to run, again?

Lou

I was originally targeting 28 psi as the max. The Holset turbo will easily make more.
My plan is to dial it down low for autocross. Maybe 6-8 psi and dial it way up for the drag strip.

My best idle was at 19-20 at 800 rpm. I've got it set a little lower so that the table will bump it back up whenever the idle drops below the target.
I also took a few degrees out at 1000 rpm to discourage the idle speed from climbing above the target.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:27 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 2D Dart
I did my ignition table this way. At first I had an idea how much a slant need advance at 100kPa. For a N/A 225 30 degrees has to been working well. My previous naturally aspirated milled 225 engine was also running with E85 ethanol and it didnt come any happier with more advance. For next I was checking from forums which kind of retarding others have been using for boost. Many comments told that its about 20 degrees. So a -10 degrees for boost. And the 3rd thing was the "vacuum advance". In my experience a hi perf slant does not need much so ...

I did my map with -2 degrees per every 10 kPa and added fixed 20 degrees for idle. At few tests I found that 170 accepts more advance compared to 225 just by listening the engine. It is pretty similar to a H-D tuning. Too much advance at idle or cruise and it is not fun because of vibration. With the table I presented my 170 runs smooth also with full throttle.

So with this "road test" that 34 degrees was chosen for 100 kPa. Because I had that -2 degrees per 10 kPa slope the table was born. In the highway my engine runs about 41-42 degrees advance - there is a bit of temperature based decrease on it at the road. With light load that engine has about 1,15...1,2 lambda which increases bit over 1 at 100 kPa and to about 0,82 at full boost which is about 180 kPa absolute pressure at 6000.

Stock compression (blueprint, 1:8.5). Almost stock new built 170 except ported head with o/s valves and custom grind Oregon cam. 6500 rpm redline comes with every gear easily.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:25 am 

Car Model:
lgu32,

Thanks very much for your description. I bet that is a super nice car to drive on the road. Thanks for the advance table and your reasoning.

My 68 Dart 225 turbo map looks fairly similar. 180 kPa is my normal max boost as well. I put about 30-40,000 road miles on my car with perhaps 20 drag race events after putting on the turbo (2011). The EFI was on there for about that much before that (2003). It is a super car over the road with good MPG and road manners.

Lou