Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:59 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
so after my track time i figured my mechanical pump along with my boost controller arent going to play well together. now im looking at an electric pump and boost referenced regulator. my question is what are you guys running? what have you run? what works well? what should i stay away from? are you running an in tank pump or in line? fuel return or not? if you are running a return how did you route the line back into the tank. at a cursory glance there are alot of different pumps and regulators. just trying to find something that works well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:16 pm 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
To boost reference the mechanical pump requires a nipple installed at the vent side of the pump. look at the pump and you will see where it vents on the bottom side of the pump. you attach a line to it from your pressure going to the intake to that.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:24 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Fopar wrote:
To boost reference the mechanical pump requires a nipple installed at the vent side of the pump. look at the pump and you will see where it vents on the bottom side of the pump. you attach a line to it from your pressure going to the intake to that.

Richard

i did that. actually i drilled it out, tapped it and screwed in a compression fitting with brake line attached. it works for the 5psi i was running but doesnt seem to hold up with higher boost levels. also the port from the turbo housing where i was getting the signal was T'd to go to the fuel pump and my wastegate actuator vie the boost controller. the boost controller using a controlled leak was bleeding off pressure so the fuel pump wasnt seeing the same boost as the motor. im just gonna take the pump out of the equation and go electric. aside from what was already said i didnt really like the idea of filling my motor with gas should the diaphragm in the pump fail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:15 pm 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
"the boost controller using a controlled leak was bleeding off pressure so the fuel pump wasnt seeing the same boost as the motor"

There in lies the problem.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:55 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
lol i know. thats why im going to go electric to take one problem out of the equation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:24 pm 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
OK but now you are going to add more things to have possable problems with.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:31 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Use this pump - Fuel Pump (High-Pressure) - Walbro GSL392

and this regulator......mallory regulator 4309

Both will support up to about 600hp. I have them and have never looked back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd6hFGzLJMc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:49 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Fopar wrote:
OK but now you are going to add more things to have possable problems with.

Richard

possibly. but the setup i have now does not work the way i need it to. pumps and regulators are pretty straight forward these days. i doubt the new setup will give me much trouble. now i could be wrong but i like to keep my hopes up.

before i take that setup apart im going to route the actuator to the base of the carb to get the signal the motor is getting and the fuel pump to the turbo housing and see what happens. should get me 8psi instead of 5 on the gauge and take any variables out of the fuel pump circuit. i know these systems have been tested and run up to 15+psi. kinda makes me wonder what the rest of their setup was.

Last edited by Junior on Thu May 22, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:54 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
the walbro 255lph pump is definitely on the list. its a toss up between the regulator you listed, the mallory 4309 and the Aeromotive 13301. they are both priced about the same and both have good reviews. being the cheap bastard i am its probably gonna come down to which one i can find cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:27 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
All boost reference lines go to the top of the carburetor!

If you put the wastegate actuator reference on the intake manifold you will build a lot of boost and heat upstream of the carburetor (and plenty of pressure on the turbine inlet) while at mid load and yet have no boost in the manifold. You want the wastegate open when the compressor outlet pressure reaches the desired set point, not the manifold pressure. The best scenario with what you propose is a very responsive engine and the mileage goes to hell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:49 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
see and that is why i ask most of the time before just doing it. looks like im just going to have to bite the bullet and buy some parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:12 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
i dont get where the problem lies though. my proposed setup would work the same as using my boost controller to get the extra 3psi. it would open the wastegate at 8psi manifold pressure instead of the 8 at the turbo housing and leaving me 5 in the manifold. if i were to set my boost controller to bleed off 3 psi wouldnt it be doing the same thing? im apparently missing something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:39 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
First off, I don't trust your gauges; mostly because I find it hard to believe you're dropping 3 psi across a 650 cfm carburetor. You shouldn't be dropping 1.5" Hg (about .75 psi).

If you allow the wastegate signal to be determined by manifold pressure the compressor output pressure will go up commensurate with the turbine drive power available. This increases the charge temperature and also drives the turbine inlet pressure up. All this heat comes from burning fuel which does no work in moving the car down the road. For fuel economy people even run the wastegate open under vacuum to reduce exhaust restriction and pumping losses, but that does reduce responsiveness.

Put the wastegate signal at the carburetor inlet or even at the compressor outlet and suffer the small pressure loss across the carburetor and intercooler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:53 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Joshua Skinner wrote:
First off, I don't trust your gauges; mostly because I find it hard to believe you're dropping 3 psi across a 650 cfm carburetor. You shouldn't be dropping 1.5" Hg (about .75 psi).

If you allow the wastegate signal to be determined by manifold pressure the compressor output pressure will go up commensurate with the turbine drive power available. This increases the charge temperature and also drives the turbine inlet pressure up. All this heat comes from burning fuel which does no work in moving the car down the road. For fuel economy people even run the wastegate open under vacuum to reduce exhaust restriction and pumping losses, but that does reduce responsiveness.

Put the wastegate signal at the carburetor inlet or even at the compressor outlet and suffer the small pressure loss across the carburetor and intercooler.

i thought 3psi was alot myself. i think i have another gauge, ill try and dig it up and see what happens.

i understand what you are saying. my question is what is the difference between using the manifold pressure or a boost controller. they both seem to have the same outcome aside from the limited increase when going with the manifold pressure. both are going to make more heat, more boost and keep the wastegate closed longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:54 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
im not trying to piss you off. i really do appreciate the help i get here. i just dont understand the difference.