Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:26 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I've used Remflex gaskets on normally-aspirated slants, either on the exhaust riser box or the downpipe flange. (Typically the Victor Reinz manifold-to-head gaskets have been good enough for me as long as the manifold is straight, so I've never shelled out for a Remflex in that location.) I've been pretty happy with them, aside from one blowout I had a couple years ago on a downpipe gasket when the Lemons car overheated badly. Maybe I didn't crush it enough, but it seems like when these gaskets do fail, they lose chunks which cause major leaks.

I'm curious how well people have seen Remflex gaskets hold up on turbo engines, and if any more crush than normal is recommended. We just pulled the turbo engine out of the Lemons Dart and found so many exhaust leaks. Mostly at the manifold (Victor Reinz) and the turbo inlet flange (stamped steel). Remflex makes a T3 flange gasket, so I assume someone has experience there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:34 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
No idea on the Remflex, but I am doubtful they could stand the heat and pressure. Maybe the int/exh gasket.

I tried the fancy embossed SCE copper gaskets and they slowly degrade, lose their tension, and after 5-8000 miles they start leaking. Best thing I found was from an exh shop or parts store with the stainless steel fire ring. Those last longer, but are not permanent. This is on the 2" round pipes from my Dutra Duals to my stainless head pipe. The stainless embossed gasket on the turbo flange has never burned out in 30+k miles and a coupla hundred drag passes. Maybe I replaced it once? Go stainless. I have the Cox Bros type green gasket on int/exh and that has never burned out. I had a Felpro at first and that didn't last long. Brian Droschak still has the green gaskets, methinks. The Remflex are soft and squishy and I would tighten them to 20 ft-lbs for more stiffness, if you want to go that way. Make sure everything is flat and aligned.

Cheers,
Lou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:27 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
No idea on the Remflex, but I am doubtful they could stand the heat and pressure. Maybe the int/exh gasket.

The intake/exhaust gasket will not take a backfire, FYI. I had a misfire on an NA build and it tore and blew out the material under the exhaust manifold
runner and the neighboring intake runners, FYI. So it may not take a lot of high boost to compromise it, or a moderate amount over a period of time...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:03 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I am pretty sure brian has some of the green gaskets... If not I would think that he can get some made.

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:35 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Ok, I'll look into stainless gaskets for the Dutra outlets and the turbo inlet. What's Brian's username on the forum? If the Mahle/Victor Reinz manifold gaskets won't hold under boost, I'd love to try one of the green gaskets.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:59 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
It's just Brian.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser