Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:39 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: '68 A100
Hey everyone! I'm new to the board here, but not to old Mopars. I've been building a Mr. Norms '68 Charger R/T for a while now, but since it's a numbers matching car and an original 4-speed car, I'm basically "restoring" it. I'm actually having a lot more fun working on my '68 Dodge A100 cargo van since I feel zero guilt about deviating from stock and making it the fun hot rod van that I want it to be. Sooo...while I'm not new to old Mopars, I am new to the slant six obsession, vans (having to work with an engine in a doghouse, and the idea of turbos. I've built a few Mopar muscle cars, some vintage Harleys, have some fabrication skills (I'm a shop teacher), and have sold enough of my weird old stuff to have some cash to put into my van build and make it what me and my 11 year old son want it to be. I had the chance to get a 340 for the van and I passed on it because I REALLY want to build up the original 225. I've always loved the 340's, but I'm pretty stoked on learning the ins and outs of the slant six and trying something outside my wheelhouse. I'm looking forward to doing the research and learning from the experiences that you all have had. As I mentioned, I'm a shop teacher, so I've got all summer off...a huge part of why I opted for the slant six is because I want the A100 van to be a solid, roadworthy, mile munching, Harley hauling, camping machine for me and my kiddo. With that said, I won't be doing bunch of laps at the track with it, but I'd LOVE to build it up a little bit, while still maintaining reliability. I've read enough on here to find LOTS of examples of solid reliable turbo'd slants that guys have built and that gives me hope. As it sits, it's a '68, has the original 225 slant six, 3 speed column shift, original 8 3/4 rear with 3.55 gears. I've got a brand new pair of the Dutra Duals and an NOS Offenhauser 5041 dual carb intake. As mentioned, I see that the idea of putting a turbo on a slant six isn't new, but I'll be confined to the space inside the "doghouse" of my van...and I'm interested in the idea of utilizing the brand new Dutra Duals that I've got and running 2 smaller turbos...one on each Dutra Dual manifold. I've found one example of a guy running twin turbos on a slant six in a A108 van (identical to an A100 van except longer wheelbase) and it looks like it's a great running/performing build, but I can't find much information about that particular van/build. Like I said, I'm new to quite a bit of this, but hoping for thoughts and insight. Any thoughts on running a twin turbo set up with the Dutra Duals? Could I still run the Offenhauser dual carb intake or would I need to sell that and but a single carb intake? Fabrication shouldn't be a problem on my end. THANKS for any input!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:15 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
I want the A100 van to be a solid, roadworthy, mile munching, Harley hauling, camping machine for me and my kiddo. With that said, I won't be doing bunch of laps at the track with it, but I'd LOVE to build it up a little bit, while still maintaining reliability. I've read enough on here to find LOTS of examples of solid reliable turbo'd slants that guys have built and that gives me hope.

I am not a turbo guy and certainly not an expert on them. But I have been around here long enough to know some general things. If you are going to go with a turbo you will almost always be better off with EFI. 2 turbos, and 2 carburetors are just going to be 2 times the problems with tuning and plumbing..etc. I would venture to say a single turbo and 4 barrel intake would be much easier to do. If you want some info from someone who really does drive his Slant 6 turbo, then you need info from Lou Madsen. I'm sure he'll chime in. I know a lot of people start turbo projects and some do complete them. I'm just not sure how many have driven them very many miles.
It sounds like you have a lot of the skills to make this happen! Enjoy building and driving whatever you end up with. Especially being able to enjoy it with your son.

Also won't there be lots of heat in the confined space of the doghouse? Just wondering. If you know of another twin turbo that is out there running I'd sure try and get some pointers from him. Good luck and keep us posted.

PS. You could always run the Dutras into a single exhaust and do a remote mounted turbo under the van. That would remove some of the heat from the dog box.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:00 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I would love to see pics of that A108 with twins on a 225. I thought about doing exactly what you describe 12-15 yrs ago and started buying parts, but then realized I am a simplicity guy... I have a single turbo and port EFI on my 68 Dart and have run it for 9 years or so, coast to coast and racing along the way. I would not do that with a carb, or I would pull my hair out retuning it all the time. Happy to talk about your build. Ever look at Megasquirt EFI??

Welcome to the site!
Lou

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:23 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
The beauty of having to work within a doghouse is...the doghouse can always be made bigger.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:44 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
...And you can chant "who let the dogs out"...

Lou

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:31 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
The price you will pay for the novelty of twin turbos, in your application, will be long forgotten in getting a proper tune when keeping everything in the dog house. If NA is not in the cards, I'd highly consider an EFI as already suggsted, with a single turbo, or a supercharger, and be done with it. I like thinking outside the envelope or doghouse in your case, but this just seems like a lot of potential hassle, for little gain.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:52 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
+1
Twin turbos can make the exhaust plumbing simpler on a V motor. I can't see any advantage for a Slant Six.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:49 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1964 Dart GT
That sounds like a fun project!
I had a friend with a VW bus who ran big blocks in them in the cargo area behind the driver. It was a novelty at the track running a 1/4 mile wheelie :shock: . Putting the slant back there in your A100 would probably make the fabrication of a twin turbo slant easier than in the usual spot. Plus, all of your work would be visible and easier to work on for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:09 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Your biggest problem (aside from tuning) will be dealing with heat in the engine compartment, as has already been mentioned. The A100 van had cooling problems even when stock. A turbo will add much more heat to an already marginal cooling system. You will need to be absolutely sure to have the biggest radiator you can fit installed, have a functioning belly pan to direct air to the radiator, and I would even go so far as to create a "wind tunnel" directly to the radiator bby cutting the front of the doghouse off and building the tunnel straight out to the grill.

Another thing to think about is braking. In an A100 the front crumple zone is your legs. The last thing you want is to build a van that is all go and no woah. I know people have found ways to convert to front disc brakes on A100s. You might want to head over to www.vanning.com and poke around there.

I agree with the comments above that a single turbo and single throttle body intake will greatly simplify your project.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted!