Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:14 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I picked up a Car and Driver yesterday, to kill time on the stationary bike at the gymn. There is a funny article in there about the LeMons race(read lemons). It is a 24 hour race in California where the cars can cost no more than $500 dollars, but they can spend money on things like tires and brakes beyond that. One of the entries was a Dodge Diplomat of about 1985 Vintage, (Or so). They painted it like a cop car, with latex paint and rollers, and put a light bar on top. To win the race, you only had to keep going, since most of the $500 cars crapped out somewhere along the way. I can;t remember why the Dip didn't finish. I think it was a failed radiator, but it was a funny read, and good to see a Mope in there, even if it didn;t finish. Some of the entires failed because drivers got tired and hit the wall. Many failed because some mechanical part just gave out. I can't remember for sure, but I kind of think the winner was an old Supra maybe. Give it a look if you get a chance.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:35 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Sam,

Where you been buddy!? I'm running this race May 10th and 11th at Altamont Motorsports Park. The '79 Newport didn't make it due to team collapse, but we resurrected the team with two of the six original members and have a Ford Ranger pickup to flog. Better to race a Ford than not race at all.

There are lots of photos and video clips to be found. Included in those you may find a '67 Fury that I came very close to driving. David Freiburger recently of Hot Rod Magazine is supposed to be bringing out another C-barge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:28 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
That sounds like a blast. I wish I were on the west coast. Breaking things on purpose is one of the great perks of being a guy.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:16 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant V200 Sedan
Did you notice that the caranddriver.com guys couldn't figure out how to lower a car factory equipped with torsion bars and leaf springs? :roll:

They had planned to cut coils and ... oops, no coils. I guess turning wrenches isn't their specialty.

1964 Valiant V200, 225/Pushbutton 904
BBD, CAI, HEI, LBP, AC, AM/FM/USB, EIEIO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:54 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Ha! -1 point. :lol:

The Ranger I'm driving gained plenty of negative camber when the front was lowered. Damn swing axles. The rear was lowered by moving the mounting points higher on the frame. It's still going to be a turd though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:01 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
You are probably right. The CD guys likely don;t know which end of a wrench to hold. You would think one of them would know. I bet they know how to use a laptop computer.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:14 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant V200 Sedan
I think it was the guys who run the CD website, so, yeah, they should know how to look it up.
We'd have told them how!

1964 Valiant V200, 225/Pushbutton 904
BBD, CAI, HEI, LBP, AC, AM/FM/USB, EIEIO