Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:21 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1964 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
Exhaust system differences for early A body

I have a 1964 dodge dart with a slantsix and available to me is an HP exhaust system that fits a 67 and newer A body slantsix
My wheel base is 111” as is the newer kit. looking at all the pictures it looks identical so I think minor changes are involved. I’ve called Mancini racing and the sales guy I spoke to didn’t know what’s different, so I’m wondering if anybody knows How hard it will be to make a 67 and above exhaust system fit into my 1964.

Thanks for any help it’s a bit of a drive but a good price hoping to decide if I should go for it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:28 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
The K-frame is wider on the 67-up, and the front frame rails are a bit further apart. The floorpan is similar, but not exactly the same on the 64 vs. 67. I am not sure on the muffler hanger mounting point in back, but it should be within about 2-4" of the later car location. The 64 rear valance pan will be different than the 67 bumper. I bet the 64 hangs down further. All of these things will require some tweaking to get it to fit, I am pretty sure. If you have a welder and some tall jackstands or a lift it should be pretty easy to make it fit. You might be able to simply heat and bend pipes to make it fit, but it may take more than that. Maybe using the wide "band" style muffler clamps would help if you cut pipes to rotate or reangle them?

In short, I hightly doubt it would bolt up, but it would likely be much easier than fabbing an exh system from scratch. What is the price?

Nice to see another LA Slant 6er. I lived in Pasadena and W. LA from 1995 - early 2002 and had fun there. Built my 64 Dart street/track/drag car in an apartment carport in Pasadena...

Lou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:18 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Hey Lou
Thanks for the detailed answer!

It’s a kit purchased from classic industries unused and asking $350

If I did my own welding I’d rush and get it.
Might do it anyway…. Maybe an extra $200 the TTI exhaust made for my 64 would be a better choice.
Hmmmm Corona isn’t too far away!

I love SoCal :)

Dennis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:07 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I am pretty spoiled here. For a lot less than $350 I could get a complete exhaust system in the size of my choice with pretty much any muffler I want and any size tailpipe including install and hangers and clamps.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:43 pm 
1 BBL (New)

LOL Rick come to L.A. and those days will be over!

I'm working on the price even though classic industries has it listed for over $700
ll check a couple shops for estimates tomorrow before i purchase and crawl around busting knuckles