Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:28 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
The 1960-'63 Torqueflite automatics used an external, in-line transmission fluid filter as an optional accessory in '60 and '61, standard equipment in '62-'63, not a flat in-pan Dacron filter such as the 1964-up transmissions used. In place of the in-pan flat filter, the early cars had a metal screen. If your car is so equipped, you will find the black, canister-shaped filter clamped to the engine block right at the level of the oil pan rail, below and ahead of the starter motor, with the trans fluid pipes threaded into each end of the canister. These canister-type filters are no longer manufactured. New Old Stock items can sometimes be found, but are usually quite costly. You can without much difficulty convert to the superior '64-up in-pan filter, making future transmission service easier and less costly.

There are a few different in-pan filters that will physically fit, but on a pre-1966 transmission, you need a filter with two fluid ports in it. The '66-up filter has only one, and if you use it on a '65 or earlier transmission, you'll starve the rear pump and damage it; you'll wonder for a few days what that weird siren-type noise is that increases in pitch with road speed—that's the rear pump operating with insufficient oil.

For this project, you'll need:

• A 1964-1965 transmission filter (with two ports), Wix № 58656 or Fram (careful!) № FT-1015A. Others include NAPA or ATP № 19715 or 17956.

• A 1964-up transmission pan or a brand-new pan. Nice, sturdy new deep pans with unwarped rails for the A904 (i.e., the stock A500 pan) can be had as Chrysler part № 52118 779AD, and they even include a spiffy magnet to catch metallic shavings. Whether you go that route or install a used '64-up pan, save yourself a bunch of current and future hassle: Discard the floppy cork or rubber pan gasket that comes with the filter kit. Instead, use Chrysler's own really nice double-seal, reusable rigid pan gasket № 4295 875AC. These part numbers are for A904 transmissions, which have a roughly square-shaped transmission pan with one corner cut off. The larger A727 transmissions take pan № 5211 8780AD and gasket № 2464 324AC. The doughnut magnet itself is № 3681 601.

The reason why you need to change the pan is that when they changed to the in-pan Dacron filter for '64, they put a circular depression in the pan to provide sufficient clearance between the pan and the Dacron filter, which is thicker than the '63 and earlier pickup screen. This is why my '62 has "dropout" problems when cold (Dacron filter w/'62 pan); I really need to fix it 'cause it's not good to starve the pump for fluid like that.

The new pan is deeper than the original. That's fine, don't worry about it. You don't need a filter extender or any such a thing, just realise it'll take a little more fluid to bring the level up to the "Full" mark on the dipstick with the new pan vs. the old pan.

Of course, when you remove the external in-line filter you'll have a 6-inch gap in the trans cooler pipe. There are Several different ways to handle that. You could use a tubing cutter to remove the male and female flares from the pipe ends, then patch the gap with a good brand of flexible rubber transmission cooler hose (make sure that is actually what you get; it has to be able to handle trans oil under high pressure), double clamped at each end. You could use a set of pipes from a '64 or later version of your same car. You can perhaps get new ready-bent steel or stainless steel pipes from Classic Tube or Inline Tube. You could easily make your own out of Cunifer line. Or, you could escape the damnuisance of these hard pipes altogether and install flex pipes instead as proposed here.

As for fluid: don't waste money on expensive specialty boutique-brand fluids, and don't be misled into thinking the archaic Type F fluid is somehow superior—it is not. I used to recommend ATF+4, but Dexron-VI ("Dexron Six") is far superior (by design and evidence, not just by random opinion pulled out of the air), and it's readily available from all the reputable brands. If you want, you can even get it from Mopar, part № 6804 3742AA for a 1-quart bottle that usually costs more than necessary; just stick to reputable major brands (that list is here) and make sure you're getting Dexron-VI, not old "Dexron III/Mercon".

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:40 am, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject: new pan?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:42 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Planning to do this switch on my newly acquired 63 valiant Signet hardtop. I have access to a press. Would it be possible to press the necessary recess into the pan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:01 pm 

Car Model:
Probably, but I think you'd likely wind up warping the pan rails and creating leaks. I would think it better/easier to get the later pan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:16 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
thanks Dan, I talked to my friendly MoPar parts guy and ordered a pan for 30 bucks. I think you're right...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:22 pm 
Dan,
This is great and important conversion info, thanks!

Mike @CP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:02 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Hi guys. I already picked up a filter for a 64 valiant with two ports. I thought this would be a good excuse to pick up a deep pan. 1 qt extra capacity. but the one i saw through MoPar says it comes with a pickup spacer. Does this space the filter down? The reason I ask is because the filter they show in the picture only has one port. I just thought since I have to get a new pan it wouldn't hurt to get a little extra capacity. but if that pickup is for a single port filter it wont really help me. On the other hand there is a 68 barracuda at the junkyard by me with a slant six. Should I just get the pan off that?

Thanks.
-aaron-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:05 am 

Car Model:
Don't buy the Mopar Performance deep pan, buy the late-model production pan under the part number listed in this thread, and use it without any filter spacer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:49 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Dan, When you do this swap do you replace the lines where the old cannister came out? I've tried screwing with buying new lines and bending them myself and have not had much luck. I can almost get the original lines to mate up but can't find a fitting that will work on both. It's got to be a male/female thing. I've had no luck at my local NAPA or the hardware store. Would it be worth while trying to finding a pre bent line?
Any suggestions??
Thanks.
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:26 pm 

Car Model:
Several different ways to handle the line issue. You could use a tubing cutter to remove the male and female flares from the filter-connecting ends of the existing lines, then patch the gap with flexible "rubber" transmission cooler hose (make sure that is actually what you get; it has to be able to handle trans oil under high pressure), double clamped at each end. You could use a set of lines from a '64-'66 slant-6 Valiant. You can perhaps get new ready-bent steel or stainless steel hardlines from Classic Tube or Inline Tube; the latter's catalogue is down at the moment ("Please call") and the former shows the hardlines for V8 '64-'66 Plymouth Valiant, but not for slant-6s. You could more easily make your own out of Cunifer line. Or, you could escape the damnuisance of these hardlines altogether and do as I proposed here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:11 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Dan, Again, thank you. I didn't even think of rubber hose. Duh!
I found my double flare tool, it's either give that a try or just say screw it and go to rubber hose.
Thanks.
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:05 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
hey dan. i had a question. i just got the pan i ordered from the dealership. when the guy ordered it for me, he said the part number had superseded to a new one. 52118779AD. i didnt think anything of it. but when i pick it up i noticed its pretty deep about two inches deeper than the pan on my transmission. i just looked at my original transmission pan again to confirm this and it is a big different. its deffinitly a 904 pan, but i dont know what for. i noticed you said the 64 has a round depression in the pan. would a 63 have this or would it just be flat. the reason i ask is because mine has a round depression that covers pretty much the whole bottom of the pan. its not much. maybe a half inch. im just thinking maybe i already have a later pan on my car for some reason. oh and my new pan does not have the circular depression. any help would be appreciated. thanks

-aaron-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:07 pm 

Car Model:
Does your original pan have a drain plug?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:12 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
i just went and checked. no drain plug in my original or my new one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:50 pm 

Car Model:
Pans thru '63 had drain plugs, so it sounds like you already have a '64 or later pan. The new current-production pan is certainly nicer, but you would likely have no trouble using your present pan with the in-pan filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:05 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
thanks dan! sounds like i can just use the one i have. i also forgot that my dad has a v8 pushbutton tranny, so i could have just used that pan if i needed it. sounds like i have a deeper 904 pan for sale. thanks again for everything.

-aaron-