Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:43 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1967 VC Valiant
Hi all

I'm no auto electrical expert but have some idea about electrical physics, curcuits etc.

I have two problems that are, I think, not related.

I had to pull the dash on my 1967 VC valiant to swap the speedo. Accidentally pulled the three wires off the wiper switch blades. It's a two speed switch, off, on slow, fast. Three pins on the switch, red, yellow and green. It's an original Aussie made Preslite switch. Didn't think it would matter too much which way I connected the wires back up to or in in terms of damage, just thought the wiper would be fast instead of slow, or not return etc so I could do a bit of trial and error, but seems I shorted it as the ampmetre showed a full discharge briefly when I turned the key and I seemed to have also blown a heater fan fuse (there are only two inline fuses in a VC that I know of). I have a new wiper switch on the way, but does anyone know which wire goes where on these switches? The one I have has got numbers 1,2, 4 and 5 I think by the blade terminals but only three are used (and there are only three blades anyway). Alternatively does anyone know which wire is high, which is low and which is park? I don't really want to melt another switch or the wiper motor.

Next issue, don't think it's related to the above. I've twice now since pulling the dash had a situation where there is no power at all. Turn the key nothing. No lights in the dash, no headlights, no cigarette lighter power, just dead as a doornail. This seemed to happen with no apparent cause. I thought the first time maybe the battery was dead, but that is relatively new and a volt metre on the battery shows a good 12+ volts, and a few minutes before been driving around with no issues. Anyway, I connected another battery with jumper leads both times and the "dead" issue was fixed "by this", I think. Dash lights up, cranks fine as always on the usual battery. (Until next time) Pretty certain it's not the battery, but any ideas what else would cause this? Maybe a ground issue or something else?

I hate electrical fault finding... But thought someone might know a simple fix before I head to an auto electrician who by now probably knows not too much about old mopar wiring

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:14 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1967 VC Valiant
So the answer to the wiring on the switch question on an Australian 1967 VC with a Preslite windscreen wiper motor switch is green is park, red is speed one or low. Yellow is speed two.

On the old preslite three pin switch it's 1 is red, 2 is green and 4 is yellow.

Unfortunately, even with a new switch, still no go. Any ideas what might be causing this?