Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:25 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1966 Dodge Dart GT
Hi,

What brand/model number cap, rotor, point, and condenser are you using and have had good luck with? Not switching to electronic right now.

Coming from a failure of my points and/or condenser and looking for reliable brand.

Have read a number of posts and one long post about cap and rotor specs but not sure what is recommended.

Also anyone have a good tip to snapping the rear cap clip (hard to get to with the oil filter so close). Haven't found a good way except tilting the cap to engage the rear clip then adjusting the cap to get the front clip on, but not a fan of that system because I could damage the rotor or cap. Maybe I need to work out . . .

Thanks,

Jay

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:38 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I search eBay for good reliable old school brands and order a couple of whatever I'm after just to be sure I have one for this time and next time too. I like the old Niehoff, Borg Warner, standard/Blue streak and a few others.
It's funny because even the "cheaper line" from 30+ years ago is better than today's "premium" parts.
I "stock up" when the gettin is good/if I see a deal on something I know that the vehicles that I own, have, I get it/because if I don't need it today I certainly will sometime while I own that car. I don't get rid of cars very often. I Especially stock up on things like tune up parts. And some brake/suspension parts too, especially stuff that I could use on more than one of my hunks of junk.
I don't have numbers as I'm not home looking at my stash but one I did pick up was a deal on a few, Blue streak CH 403x distributor caps. Judging by the packaging/logo they are OLD but yet brand new.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:11 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1966 Dodge Dart GT
volaredon wrote:
I search eBay for good reliable old school brands and order a couple of whatever I'm after just to be sure I have one for this time and next time too. I like the old Niehoff, Borg Warner, standard/Blue streak and a few others.
It's funny because even the "cheaper line" from 30+ years ago is better than today's "premium" parts.
I "stock up" when the gettin is good/if I see a deal on something I know that the vehicles that I own, have, I get it/because if I don't need it today I certainly will sometime while I own that car. I don't get rid of cars very often. I Especially stock up on things like tune up parts. And some brake/suspension parts too, especially stuff that I could use on more than one of my hunks of junk.
I don't have numbers as I'm not home looking at my stash but one I did pick up was a deal on a few, Blue streak CH 403x distributor caps. Judging by the packaging/logo they are OLD but yet brand new.

Thanks, good advice. I'll have to lookup the old part numbers for those parts and search.

Jay

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:42 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Old Car Parts Northwest has giant warehouses full of new old stock American-made ignition parts. Prices are good. Contact is a little difficult, but worth the effort.