Slant Six Forum
https://www.slantsix.org/forum/

Rob's 1981 Dodge Challenger
https://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46322
Page 61 of 62

Author:  Rob Simmons [ Wed Oct 01, 2025 8:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rob's 1981 Dodge Challenger

Quote:
When will you be done getting all your smarts? :D
So,... More accurately... :)

I will be in class until June 2026. Then I will take a 3-6 month break. Then I will come back for two final 3 month classes and be completely done by either March or June 2027.

I finished the basic automotive course a couple weeks ago.
Now I'm in High Performance Powertrains until December.
January to March is Chassis Fabrication.
April to June is Street Rod
July to September (maybe December) is time at home
October to December (maybe January to March) is Trim and Upholstery
January to March 2027 (maybe April to June) is Automotive Service Management (ASM)

Author:  Rick Covalt [ Wed Oct 01, 2025 9:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rob's 1981 Dodge Challenger

That sounds like a great well rounded course. :D

Author:  slantzilla [ Wed Oct 01, 2025 10:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rob's 1981 Dodge Challenger

Oooooohhhhhh, be a service writer. You can misdiagnose stuff and dump it on the poor book time techs. :mrgreen:

Author:  Rob Simmons [ Wed Oct 01, 2025 12:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rob's 1981 Dodge Challenger

Quote:
Oooooohhhhhh, be a service writer. You can misdiagnose stuff and dump it on the poor book time techs. :mrgreen:
Sounds good to me! :lol:

Author:  Rob Simmons [ Wed Oct 01, 2025 12:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rob's 1981 Dodge Challenger

Quote:
That sounds like a great well rounded course. :D
I agree! I'm having a blast and learning a lot! :D

Author:  Rob Simmons [ Sat Dec 06, 2025 6:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rob's 1981 Dodge Challenger

When I go home for the holidays I'll do some prep for getting ready for my spring break and then summer at home.

I want the Challenger solidly in the 6s in the 1/8th mile.

I also really want to figure out how to increase that top end from 115 to 119+ to re-set the 1/4 mile MPH record.

That would give me all the A/Alcohol records. :mrgreen:

My instructor in my HPPT (High Performance Powertrains) class was a drag racer that had a couple 72-3 Roadrunners. His blown 440 car ran in the 9s. I'll pick his brain on increasing the top end MPH numbers...

Author:  Dart270 [ Sun Dec 07, 2025 2:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rob's 1981 Dodge Challenger

Sounds great, Rob. Glad you are having fun and learning a ton.

If any of us want to set records, I guess we better think about having official Slant 6 racing? It would be great to have one that will draw a lot of racers. Maybe Clay City or somewhere sorta centrally located? Just thinkin' out loud at this point.

Lou

Author:  Rick Covalt [ Sun Dec 07, 2025 12:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rob's 1981 Dodge Challenger

Quote:
I guess we better think about having official Slant 6 racing? It would be great to have one that will draw a lot of racers. Maybe Clay City or somewhere sorta centrally located?
I agree! After the 1st of the year let's try and see what the folks likely to come want for a race. I'll do my best to come!

Author:  Dart270 [ Sun Dec 07, 2025 1:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rob's 1981 Dodge Challenger

I'm willing to work on hosting a big yearly reunion race if we can get some committments/consensus. Prolly not in mid summer...
Lou

Author:  Charrlie_S [ Sun Dec 07, 2025 4:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rob's 1981 Dodge Challenger

This old man would like to make a slant six race. With enough lead time, I could probably arrange it.

Author:  Rob Simmons [ Sun Dec 07, 2025 8:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rob's 1981 Dodge Challenger

Awesome on all counts! I kinda miss all y’all! :mrgreen:

Author:  Rick Covalt [ Mon Dec 08, 2025 5:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rob's 1981 Dodge Challenger

I sure miss racing with everyone too!

Author:  hyper_pak [ Mon Dec 08, 2025 10:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rob's 1981 Dodge Challenger

I am in.

Author:  Rob Simmons [ Wed Aug 05, 2026 6:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rob's 1981 Dodge Challenger

I pulled the Challenger out of mothballs to get ready for the Slant 6 race at Kentucky Dragway next month.

I weighed it without driver, fuel, water or batteries and it was 2,000.

Fuel system was nice and clean with no alkaline buildup.

I decided to pull off the big cowl induction hood scoop I put on it.

I trimmed a little bit of weight off the trunk lid, but plan to leave the spoiler on for now. It seems to help with that squirrelly feeling at the top end.

I’m debating about doing away with the cooling system all together. I struggle to get enough heat into it as it is running alcohol. And that’s a bunch of weight off the front…

I may also cut a couple pieces out of the roll cage. Those funky funny car type halo bars on both sides don’t really offer any more structural strength to the main cage. They just add weight and make it more difficult to get in and out…

I should get it out and make a couple passes before the race, but likely won’t.

Author:  Rob Simmons [ Wed Aug 12, 2026 3:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rob's 1981 Dodge Challenger

I got the rear spoiler reworked and painted. Ready to reinstall it If I decide to do that. Howard is convinced that squirrelly feeling at the top end was the track at Ohio Valley. He doesn’t think I need a rear spoiler at all. Still debating… :? That’s about an 8 pound difference.

I also got a 10 foot section of DOM tubing to replace my door bars if I get that deep into it before Clay City. If I cut out the funny car head hoops and replace the door bars I will save some significant weight and have better ingress/egress.

I’m close to having the hood ready to paint and reinstall. Saved likely about 6-8 pounds there.

I’m also removing the plastic grill and making something lighter.

Last piece of the puzzle is lightening up the cooling system some more. After talking to Howard, I think I will keep a cooling system for now. He doesn’t have one, but he also has a billet aluminum head with no water jackets…

I hope we have good fall weather for Clay City. I really want to make a 6 second pass! :lol:

Page 61 of 62 All times are UTC-07:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
https://www.phpbb.com/