Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: What's An A230 3 speed
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2001 6:26 pm 
What's an A230 3 speed and where can I get one? The 3 speed I have now reluctantly will allow a down shift. An it protests when power-shifting.

Soupitup@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2001 10:52 pm 
(User Above) wrote:
: What's an A230 3 speed and where can I get one?
: The 3 speed I have now reluctantly will
: allow a down shift. An it protests when
: power-shifting.

The A-230 is the full syncro 3-speed, it is alot like the 833 4-speed in design and is a much stronger unit then the "top loader" A903 unit it eventually replaced. These 3-speeds were offered starting in 1970 and all have a "slip yoke" out the tail. (it was never offered with the Ball & Trunion flange)

The cool thing with an A230 is that it will swap onto the same bellhousing as the A903. You can run a colume shift down to it and not cut-up your car's floor. (although the factory put floorshifters on most A230 set-ups) The syncro stop ring design used in the A230 and 833 work much better then the stepped pins and cone syncro system used in the 903.

One interesting trick you can do if you are ever rebuilding an A230 is to machine the gear cone & syncro collar on the reverse gear and install a syncronizer ring in that position, now you have a true, full syncro trans. with a syncro reverse! No more "ratta-tat-tat-clunk" as you grab for reverse gear.

For your B-Body car, you need to find an A230 with the B&E Body tail housing (with the two shifter mounting places) as shown below.
DD

Post subject: Re: A 230 3 speed Info.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 10:44 am 
(User Above) wrote:
: The A-230 is the full syncro 3-speed, it is
: alot like the 833 4-speed in design and is a
: much stronger unit then the "top
: loader" A903 unit it eventually
: replaced.

Is this what would be in a 75 Duster 3sp? How hard is it to replace with the 3sp OD? What should I look for in a 3sp OD?

Scott

scott.solomon@mcchord.af.mil

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]